Neighbor complaint!! = missing chickens??

How would you feel if her dog got out and came and kill all your chickens.

Same thing you need to keep your chickens on your land.

Most States have fence laws. Very few were you can just let your animals free range.

I posted "Me, My Chickens, and my Neighbors' Chickens" several months ago. Their yard bird sleep in the trees, even though they have a pen. They roam all over MY yard and cause problems. I've talked to them and even caught the chickens and put them back in there pen....TWICE!
I'm so sick of this. How can people be so disrespectful!!

I wrote them a letter:
Your chickens are really bothering us. The are coming over at the crack of dawn and crowing right under our bedroom window.
They are around our house day and night tormenting us, and our own chickens.
In the past, I've asked nicely, and even caught them multiple times for you and put them back in your pen, but we still have the problem.
Out of respect I wouldn't allow our roosters or dog to crow or bark at YOUR house at all hours of the day or night.

Well, I decided not to tape it to their mailbox today....I caught one of their roosters. He'll be going in the stewpot tonight. They ALL will over time. I gave them fair warning in the past. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

I can't say I blame you for being fed up. Now you'll really be fed up.
wink.png

I understand your frustration, but I do not think I would cook some one else's bird. It isn't the bird's fault.

I am blessed with neighbors who don't much care. (Our neighbors are cows
smile.png
)

Even if you don't have time to get a pen done there are options. Wing clipping for one. Poultry netting is also cheap and easy to get. If your feed store has none try a plant nursery or garden center for the stuff they throw on berry bushes to keep wildlife from eating it. I grabbed 2 bags for $10 to throw over a little pen with only 2' high fence to keep my younger chickens in while they grow a little and get used to being outside. Works fine. There is also various plastic fencing. I have plastic garden fence and there is plastic poultry netting which are flexible enough to run in strips over top of a pen. It won't keep anything out but it will quickly and easily keep your chickens from flying out the top. It's your responsible to take the time to at least put in temporary measures to keep your animals confined until you get the pen done. If they came over into my yard I might return them once or twice provided the person was actually taking care of them. After that they are mine. My flock would either get bigger, I'd have a few extra $5s in my pocket after selling them, or their owner would be having a talk with animal control in order to get their birds back from them. If I even told animal control who's birds they were. That's assuming my akita didn't decide they were intruders and eliminate them. I got her to see my chickens as animals to protect but I can't gurantee she won't see someone else's chickens as prey.

Quote:
around were i live, you can let your animals "as long as you are out in the country" free range forever! i use to let my chickens run around my place all day and all night, no fence, no coop, no nothing except our old hay sheds, acwipment sheds, and our barn that they could go in if the weather got bad or wanted to lay eggs but then, the dog axcident happened and i was forced for the safety of my chickens to make a coop and run. which they were NOT happy about this at all!

right now i do not have any problem with neibors. 1. because our land was here first and they bought some of our land for themselfes.

Glad that you found them! Just a word of caution to you since your neighbor has been nasty about your chickens wandering. Here in VA it is against the law (it might just be my county, I can't remember) for livestock to wander onto someone's property other than your own. I believe the fine here is like $300.
ep.gif
That would pay for a pretty nice run.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom