Neighbor dumped gasoline in yard, now chickens are dying, HELP!

peteandizzysmom

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Hi,

Ok, I am trying to figure out if these things are related. One week ago my neighbor dumped a gallon of gasoline in his yard (BTW this is totally illegal) and then flooded the yard to get rid of it. The water was all over my yard and through my chicken run. I thought it was soapy, come to find out later it was tainted with gasoline. The next day one of my happy, healthy chickens suddenly died. She was fine at night when the girls went to bed, dead in the coop the next morning. At first I thought she was egg bound, then I found out about the gasoline and thought this may have been the reason. Today (1 week from gasoline incident) another one of my hens died suddenly. She was perfectly healthy 12 hours ago. Could this be because of the gasoline tainted water? Even a week later (I thought we were possibly in the clear). I know 1 gallon of gasoline can taint 750,000 gallons of water, but I'm not sure how hazardous it would be when soaked through the soil. My chickens are well fed and watered, but we have been having high temperatures (over 90 F). The chicken that died today was my oldest and hardiest hen, she laid enormous eggs and has always looked so healthy. I have recently run out of oyster shell (waiting for more to arrive in the mail) and I'm wondering if a couple weeks without oyster could cause them to become egg bound and suddenly die? If it's the gasoline will flooding the run with more water help? They are primarily in their coop or large run but often get out to free range in the yard as well.

Thank you for your input!!

I dont know where you are but I would be contacting
the ministry of natural resources
Environmental protection agency
department if fish and wildlife

anybody that deals with environmental disasters

I would be sending a bird off for a necropsy and finding out the exact cause of death and if the results are poisoning i would be going after financial compensation

I would also call your environmental health agency. Good gracious, you don't know what all they might have dumped out; it could have been antifreeze, gasoline, heaven only knows. People can be so stupid when it comes to stuff like that. If you can't get any results with the authorities, I'd at least get my soil tested to find out whats in it. Your Agricultural dept. should be able to help you with that. I hope it all turns out OK for you and yours.

oh my gosh gas in your yard why would they do that I'm sooooooo sorry I would not have a clue about what to do
barnie.gif

Your soil is contaminated and watering it down will not fix it. Only the removal and replacement will fix it. Under US law you are required to report any toxic spillage to potential buyers and some states don't even allow you to sell the land unless a hazmat team has cleaned your land up. This can cost you thousands of dollars. You will need to report the incident so they can come out and check our soil and talk actions against your neighbor if needed. Most likely his homeowner insurance will pay for it. I can't believe that he thought rinsing it down is the answer. He should have put pine shavings or kitty litter onto it to absorb and properly remove it. I hope you guys are not on well water, because it may seep deep enough to contaminate the water. That will of course take time. Gasoline will have neurotoxic consequences in birds, and they don't always die right away. Your birds are constantly exposed as long as they live on the contaminated soil. I would not eat any of their eggs at this point.

So sorry you have a such a dumb neighbor.
hugs.gif
take everyones advice now and call and get them on top of it.
I would be ripping my niehbor a new
duc.gif

Quote:
I would go over there and rip him a new one too. My first response was to shout out OMG! Yeah you need to call someone and report his arsehattery. I don't even know where to begin with this. I really hope the rest of your hens are ok and continue to stay that way. Gasoline is extremely hazardous. Just breathing in the fumes is causing them damage because they can't cough out the fumes plus the ground is now contaminated. Seek help immediately on what you can do for your soil and send him the bill later.

you need to call the Department of Environmental Protection or equivalent in your state and report the release. The DEP will take care of the rest and your neighbor will be responsible for the cleanup. Having an environmental issue like this devalues your property and can cause groundwater contamination and even impact indoor air in your home if you don't get it taken care of.

Last edited:
Document everything!! take pictures and keep a journal.... contact the EPA and even the local police department.

I HATE people like that!! No regard for the planet, animals, or even themselves. Morons. Oh, you got me mad now. Good luck with this!

Back
Top Bottom