Neighbor has bad mite infestation.

arenea74

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Should I be worried? Our chickens are separated only by a wood privacy fence. I have already been using DE everywhere my girls hang out. We checked my girls tonight and so far they are clean. Should I be more liberal with the DE...like putting it along the fence boarder or buy Sevendust? My neighbor is treating his flock aggressively as he seems to have caught the infestation early.

Thanks
hmm.png

I agree that you are right to be concerned and watchful. But I wouldn't use the DE any more heavily; it is too irritating to the respiratory system. I'd just stay watchful, and maybe have some Sevin on hand, just in case. I use a little Sevin in the coop regularly (as well as DE), anyway. When changing out litter or nest box material, I put a little Sevin down after removing the old.

If you want to avoid the chemicals, I recommend spraying their area and the chicks with Poultry Protector made by Manna Pro. Its a natural enzyme that even kills eggs. You can spray them every day or every few days, and you won't be poisoning their environment or exposing them to such toxins.

Back
Top Bottom