Neighbor hating the chickens

Ok, I looked it up.
Iredell County does not have any ordinance prohibiting chickens. Make sure you are not in the city limits or ETJ though. Also if you live in a subdivision your homeowner covenants could prohibit chickens.
That is what the web gave me.
Is that the area you specified?

Keep your chickens contain in their coop and run and away from your neighbor and the stray chicken.
Most counties have laws from loose livestock. These laws should be looked at before getting chickens.
This. And unfortunetly, cats are not considered livestock and are able to wander where they want. No, it's not right. I had to battle my neighbor for years about her cats coming into my yard and pooping in my garden. Then I put a fence all around my yard and got a dog. Now I can let my chickens out without them going too far and her cats can't ruin my garden

This. And unfortunetly, cats are not considered livestock and are able to wander where they want. No, it's not right. I had to battle my neighbor for years about her cats coming into my yard and pooping in my garden. Then I put a fence all around my yard and got a dog. Now I can let my chickens out without them going too far and her cats can't ruin my garden
That is the best idea ever!

Sidebar for a second. Cats here are subject to the same rules as loose dogs. Cats just typically don't get caught by animal control.
Not in my county. Wish it was like that but it's not. We've looked into it many times. And we were told nothing could be done about cats who are feral or just outside cats

I do not live in the city limits but the Iredell county animal control guy who I am gonna assume was just trying to be a billy bad ass this morning told us there was an ordinance against chickens. But when we asked about one for her cats he claimed there wasn’t one. This “Karen” started feeding a stray chicken which then turned into mine going as well when they realized she put food out. But now she doesn’t want them around her house ok cook we don’t want your cats at ours. I just need to make sure I’m covered when it comes time and that there really isn’t an ordinance.
I had a neighbor who was feeding my chickens and later called the animal control on us for them pooping on her ramp. (She also has a lot of cats and feeds all the strays around.) In my neighborhood, the landlord is a farmer and allows people to own whatever livestock that we want (though he doesn't recommend horses or cows due to the small lots). Despite this, the animal control officer still came and threatened us if they get called again, they will take all of our chickens and we would have to pay to get them back (plus pick them up from wherever they would keep them.) To deal with this, we ended up downsizing most of our birds and built runs to keep them in.

With a stray chicken running around, I suggest you keep your flock far away from it, and everywhere it's been. It could be carrying both diseases and parasites that you don't want your flock exposed to. Also, with so many cats around, without some guard animal to keep them away, I don't suggest you free range your flock anyways. Cats are on the list of chicken predators, and I have had a few that attempted to attack my birds. (Cat attacks are bad, and with the added bacteria from their nails, they're often fatal.)

Back
Top Bottom