Neighbor is BIG TIME feeding the raccoons.

X2

Except the Michigan part, lol
wink.png

IMO, giving them at least a heads up is a good idea, that way they can track progress and have counts etc... We've always had good response here, too. They really are there to help.

Sorry about the thread getting out of hand, too, @Lilki . I feel I could have paid more attention to what you were saying in your last few posts, but hey, who needs reality TV when you have this kind of entertainment?
wink.png

Best wishes, do keep all us nosy pests updated lol
big_smile.png

Thanks, you two :) Yeah I'm not surprised this train jumped the tracks, with such strong opinions on both sides.

To those saying to talk to the neighbor- we have. In the OP I stated that. I don't want to be a bad neighbor and I don't want to get her in trouble. I do want her to stop. My pets are secure but What she is doing is destroying the native wildlife and spreading disease. I've found dead raccoons on my property and in the creek. If it's happening in our yard it's happening all up and down the creek. This isn't healthy. Even if we shoot them- it's a losing battle if she keeps feeding them. I'm done being the good neighbor. She created a massive problem, in a sensitive area, that some else will have to fix.

Anyway I emailed the wildlife authorities about the laws for dealing with nuisance raccoons, and will go from there.
It's kind of you to not want to get your neighbor in trouble, but if you've got dead raccoons all over the place, there is definitely a problem. It's good that you notified your wildlife authorities. It would be interesting to know what they have to say about it.

Yeah, I really want to know why they're dying. I'm afraid it might be distemper, which could explain what happened to the local bobcat. Hopefully not rabies. I wish I could get them tested. I should ask..

Our Michigan DNR will have some wildlife necropsied and rabies tested to monitor diseases in the state wildlife population. Call them!!! Mary (I mean, your state DNR)

Last edited:
Nope.....he said it was a violation of federal law to trap and release a raccoon. Come on Chicken George , .....I need to see that law so I can educate myself.
It is against the law to TRANSPORT a trapped coon to a different location and release his cute little behind in any location except on the same piece of ground on which the coon first entered captivity.

Come on Joe.

I have posted links on numerous occasions.

Besides, what the Feds pay for the Feds end up controlling.

Yeah, I really want to know why they're dying. I'm afraid it might be distemper, which could explain what happened to the local bobcat. Hopefully not rabies. I wish I could get them tested. I should ask..

Lilki:

I'm curious.......had you noticed all these dead coons and activity before the cat food conversation?

Either way, unless someone (perhaps another neighbor?) is poisoning them, I would think your state game agency or local public health agency would want to know about all these dead coons. That isn't normal.

Lilki:

I'm curious.......had you noticed all these dead coons and activity before the cat food conversation?

Either way, unless someone (perhaps another neighbor?) is poisoning them, I would think your state game agency or local public health agency would want to know about all these dead coons. That isn't normal.

I agree 100%. Now we're talking infectious pathogens in waterways and there is a huge concern for local pets, right up to kids getting bit by a rabid cat instead of the coons. That's exactly how my dad lost over 50 cats last year. Had to put down every single cat on a 3 farm radius.

Yeah, I really want to know why they're dying.  I'm afraid it might be distemper, which could explain what happened to the local bobcat.  Hopefully not rabies.  I wish I could get them tested.  I should ask..

We sent a bunch of heads to CSU; they have a freebie necropsy program for just such scenarios. But I bet the state wildlife people will want to have them done for sure. They'll probably automatically do it since they're dying everywhere..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom