Neighborhood politics (not my guinea hens!)

Speckledfarmer

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Wausau, WI
Need some advice.....I looked out onto my fenced flock this morning and there were 5 guinea hens circling, trying to get in. I let the dogs out to scare them off (not effective...the dogs couldn't care less), but they kept roaming my yard. I let my hens out every evening after work and am concerned about bio-security (my primary concern) and feed loss (secondary). I learned that the guineas belong to a farmer a couple parcels over and that they roam daily. Do I a) let it go b) say something c) other?

Interested in the group's thoughts.

Thanks!

Guinea are voracious tick eaters, maybe you can take advantage of their visit? If their owner allows them to roam freely, then there may not be much you can do without disrupting the neighborhood harmony.

In this situation, we must use reverse psychology. I would approach the farmer and let him know that his guineas are getting close to your chickens, and some diseases can spread from chickens to guineas and that you don't want his guineas to contract anything from your chickens. This way, he might want to keep his guineas away rather than you telling him that you don't want the guineas near the chickens.

I have had similar issue with a neighbors chicken flock. They do consume forage that would otherwise be available for my birds. Having such is no different than having cattle that forage on someone elses property. Look into precedence there. At some point neighbor will have to confine if other landowner complains.

I vote "let it go". If it was me, I'd be tickled pink to have guineas near my chickens rather than the filthy nasty starlings that I can't seem to discourage.

I would just go talk to him and let him know your concerns. Maybe he would have an idea on how to keep them closer to home or how you could keep them off your property.
Doesnt sound like youre wanting to go down and get crazy so I dont see the problem. "disrupting the neighborhood harmony" I dont get this. Why are people always worried about this? Since when has it become that we cant talk to a neighbor without it starting a feud or something?
I also would just be honest. Dont go down and try to use psychology on him. If you try to scare him into thinking its his birds thats gonna get sick next thing you know everyones gonna get the idea that youre raising a bunch of diseased chickens. Not a good thing.

Last edited:
Doesnt sound like youre wanting to go down and get crazy so I dont see the problem. "disrupting the neighborhood harmony" I dont get this. Why are people always worried about this? Since when has it become that we cant talk to a neighbor without it starting a feud or something?
The world seems to be fast filling up with people who feel that they are entitled to use other people's property and services for free, and get mad when anyone takes issue with this. Not everyone is this way, of course, but if the guy is already letting his animals free range on everyone else's property....

If this becomes a problem, you should talk to him. If the issue persists, I would do a google search for guineafowl recipes, and get to eating.

The world seems to be fast filling up with people who feel that they are entitled to use other people's property and services for free, and get mad when anyone takes issue with this.

And the more people set around not saying anything because they dont want to make waves the more people like that are gonna think what theyre doing is ok.

I wouldn't mind 5 Guineas visiting my place but I'm an ole country boy.
My neighbors have nice sissy little well manicured yards with shrubs & flowerbeds and don't feel the same way so I don't have Guineas.
If you don't want them on your property simply go tell him his Guineas are being a nuisance and he needs to keep them off your property or you're going to eat them. The politeness you use is your call.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom