Neighbor's Animals

Take into consideration that OP is not experiencing this situation. They are just wondering "what if..." While I understand that this sort of thing could happen, I think more often than not, such disputes are handled through law enforcement or the court system. Or neighbors possibly not speaking to one another. It depends a lot on where one lives, too. Where I live, neighbors understand that if my dog goes on your property and kills your animals, you have every right to kill my dog, and I am responsible for the death of my dog because I didn't keep him home.

I posted this a while ago on a different query, thought I'd share it again:

I started raising chickens in a very residential neighborhood when I was 14 years old.
Had no idea about hardware cloth, built my pen with chicken wire.

I came home from school one day after wrestling practice to see a bunch of my neighbors all excited on my front lawn.

There, in the middle, was one of the neighbors 75 pound dog with my rooster in its mouth, the rooster was still alive. No police were called.

I tackled the dog, fists flying...
We went a few rounds, me landing several good body shots, but the dog would not release my bird.

I positioned a choke hold.
He dropped the bird.
I wouldn't let go...the dog went limp...

Mom finally pulled me off while I was still beating the unresponsive dog.
Neighbors now starring in complete disbelief...blood everywhere, rooster, mine, and dog.

I carried away my now dead rooster.

Neighbor took her unconscious dog to the vet.
Mom took me to the hospital.

That evening, my neighbor had a dog with broken ribs, and huge vet bill.
I had 8 stitches, a dead rooster, and an apology with an offer to compensate for my lose and injuries.

Not to mention complete respect / fear from the neighborhood...

Good neighbor, bad coop design. Lessons learned.

That was +40 years ago...

My current coop is built to keep a 200 pound dog out, I'm too old to fight with mother nature and/or the neighbors.

It is much preferable to leave a crappy neighbor in the dark about the fate of his own destructive pets than it is to warn him and risk his wrath even when Spot or Rover gets run-over by a beer truck.

I always told my neighbors to shoot my dogs dead it they ever bothered or harmed their livestock, and as soon as they called me that I would be right over to get my animal off of their property.

You would be amazed at the change in attitude this produces in most pet owners, especially if you mention
that you follow the "Golden Rule"

Last edited:
We're having similar problem with neighbor's dog chasing my horses. DH discussed situation with neighbor & told him consequences of situation. Big vet bill or possibly shot dog. I feel sorry for dog - young Queensland Heeler doing what he is bred for. Why won't people keep their dogs on their own property? My chickens have a very safe coop & run thank heavens.

That last was a response to RonP.

Thanks...my 81 year old mother keeps reminding me every time she visits my birds...
hmm.png

its a scary situation killing someone elses pet they consider family it can turn someone into a dangerous rage, specially those people who might not have anyone else. For those who are protecting animals you care for I understand the situation. For those who just are protecting livestock maybe you can take the dog back record pictures and then demand your money. Laws are kinda harsh here if your dog gets caught molesting animals animal control will demand you compensate. I got in trouble while my dog was on leash and defended herself from a wolf hound who attacked her. Because of the damage my dog was able to do in such a short time I had a mark put on her but she was not deemed dangerous. And that was me following all rules walking on leash and another dog targeting her who is bigger! I can't imagine what would happen if she was breaking rules running down animals. Not that it would happen since she lives with parrots, toucans, and pretty much every other bird species.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom