Neighbor's chicken... Egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessivogel, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jessivogel

jessivogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE
    Hi, I was at our neighbor's today and they asked me about an egg bound chicken. They said she laid around for a day and a half and finally had the egg. But now- she won't get up. I felt externally and couldn't feel another egg. This is my first time dealing with a situation like this. I told them that I would post and see if anyone knows what to do. They have her separated in a hutch in the barn. She's rotating in her spot- but not walking. No resistance when you push against her legs (doesn't even try to stand). When laying- her wings are "floppy". Not tucked up on her back. When he picked her up- she did flap her wings. No leg movement though. Seems kind of lethargic/out of it/spacy. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Kingston, MA
    It takes a hen about 25 hours to develop an egg enough for it to be laid. If she already laid an egg it's unlikely that there is another one right behind it. It sounds like she was unwell prior to laying the egg, which would indicate there is another issue at hand. I don't have any suggestions as to what it may be, but I don't think it sounds like egg binding is the problem here.

Good luck!

3. jessivogel

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE

Thanks! They were wondering if it's possible that it paralyzed her legs.

4. jessivogel

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE
    Any one else?

5. jessivogel

May 14, 2014
    Palisade, NE
    She's still alive. But refusing to eat and won't walk. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by