Neighbors chickens

marxette

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 11, 2015
Albion, Mich
Not sure where I should have posted this but I need some direction. We have neighbors who, in my opinion don't take good care of their animals. Their chickens run free and spent the whole summer here eating apples that had fallen from our tree. That was ok with us because they ate the stink bugs that we have been battling. Now that the weather is cold, the chickens are now flying over the fence into the duck yard and eating the ducks food. We have attempted to contact them but no one answered the door. The situation there was deplorable. It was below zero and windy and there were baby chicks huddling near the front door. All the rest of the chickens were trying to find a place to keep warm. This is a daily issue with their birds. Not just that but their goats ate all the tomatoes that I had planned to can.

Not sure where I should have posted this but I need some direction. We have neighbors who, in my opinion don't take good care of their animals.
You could try calling animal control, or whatever group in your area is responsible for making sure animals are properly cared for.

You could report that the animals do not appear to have adequate shelter, or you could report that the animals are trespassing on your property (since both of those appear to be the case.)

You could also look up the laws in your area about animals that wander at large, or trespass on your property. Some places have specific guidelines about who to call or what to do.

the chickens are now flying over the fence into the duck yard and eating the ducks food.
You could cover the duck yard. A large piece of netting or wire fencing would probably be enough to keep the chickens out.

We have attempted to contact them but no one answered the door.
You could try again at another time (they may have been away from home, or asleep, or in the shower, or otherwise unable to answer.)

Maybe write a note and tape it to the door?
Or mail a letter?

Not just that but their goats ate all the tomatoes that I had planned to can.
Goat-proof fences can be hard, but you might need one around your garden. It would have the added benefit of keeping out deer, since goats and deer are about equal in their ability to go over/through fences.

Yes, your neighbors "should" keep their animals on their own property, but if they do not, then putting up your own fences is one of the few things that really works.

Definitely contact animal control. For the welfare of the animals, and to enforce animal containment. It should not be your job to fence your tomatoes just because other people can't keep their animals off of other people's property. If it was wild deer or something, it's understandable and on you to fence valuables off, but if it's somebody's animal, it's on them.

Thank you for all these ideas. The duck yard is our entire fenced in back yard so covering it is not an option.

Maybe we'll start with a carefully worded letter since we don't want to get into a fight with the neighbors.

We did enclose the tomatoes to save what was left.

Last edited:
Thank you for all these ideas. The duck yard is our entire fenced in back yard so covering it is not an option.

Maybe we'll start with a carefully worded letter since we don't want to get into a fight with the neighbors.
no need for a fight. just knock on their door and explain the issue.

pretty good chance your letter just gets thrown out.

no need for a fight. just knock on their door and explain the issue.

pretty good chance your letter just gets thrown out.
I second this. And letters can often be viewed as passive aggressive, even if you aren't trying to be. I'd try to get them in person first, and then probably call animal control next.

Unless you have reason to believe they might harm you. In which case, I'd bring someone with you to knock, and then maybe move on to animal control if they don't answer.

Back
Top Bottom