Neighbors Crowded Coop and run

I also want to add that you could inquire about the feasibility of moving the coop. Some coops can have wheels attached and be relocated pretty easily. Others are on skids so you can drag them with a truck or tractor. It just depends on how they built it. But the only way you'll know if they are at all open to this is to ask.

A two-way conversation can more easily be about seeking resolution rather than complaining and threatening. Seeking resolution is far more productive and less likely to cause bad blood between you.

I spoke with them yesterday and they had them taken to a farm outside the city. I didn't bring up having them move their coop that's not up to code or the number of chickens. As long as those illegal and noisy roosters are gone I'm happy. If the chickens become too loud in the future I may have to talk to them about moving the coop.

I agree that talking face to face is a much better way but my apprehension was that I had already brought all of my concerns and complaints to their attention 4 months ago and they did get rid of that rooster immediately but I mentioned that the coop was close to my house and I could hear/smell the chickens and they did nothing about that but go and get more chickens which I find disrespectful.

I agree that talking face to face is a much better way but my apprehension was that I had already brought all of my concerns and complaints to their attention 4 months ago and they did get rid of that rooster immediately but I mentioned that the coop was close to my house and I could hear/smell the chickens and they did nothing about that but go and get more chickens which I find disrespectful.

If you presented more than one complaint, they may have only heard the rooster complaint and not even heard the complaint about the coop. It is likely not disrespect at all. Most chicken owners want to be good neighbors and will go above and beyond to make sure they are good neighbors.

If you presented more than one complaint, they may have only heard the rooster complaint and not even heard the complaint about the coop. It is likely not disrespect at all. Most chicken owners want to be good neighbors and will go above and beyond to make sure they are good neighbors.
While they responded to the first rooster complaint by removing noise maker, getting more was not so cool, tho I understand it. Getting straight run birds that what happens.
Might want to suggest putting the crowers in another enclosure closer to the keepers house.

The coop being so close to another house is not too cool either,
especially if it's farther from their house than the OP's.
I can see both sides of the situation. My coop is about 20-30 feet from my house(living room windows) and sometimes I close the windows when all the hens are going off non stop for an hour or more. It is annoying. Luckily I don't have close neighbors, my closest is 500' away with thick woods between, and sometimes their roosters annoy me too.

They can't always find hmes for their roosters right away, so give them time. There is also a collar you can buy for roosters called a "NO-crow" that's 20 bucks. Mention to them your worried if there's adequate space for the birds and ask them to move the coop. Don't report them unless they downright refuse to obey by the rules, it could take time to get rid of roosters and find a way to move the run and coop

You've had some great advice...my comment is because I have to suppress a giggle thinking of one of my family members and his intense irritation with roosters crowing. For years I told him to make an effort to not grumble each time the neighbours rooster crowed...he did not, but I did. In the end I enjoyed the giggle I got lying in bed listening to (what became a reassuring crow) knowing he was in his bed getting really mad and worked up.
We all have different circumstances so I am not passing judgement - I am just glad I found a way to manage listening to (often multiple local roosters) crowing their heads off at all hours. But then I'd barely kept my sanity living next to a 24/7 high traffic road for a spell, so roosters were refreshing to me.
Ask your neighbours for some eggs instead of a cup of sugar!! Even better, get some poop for your compost pile to get your garden growing wonderfully.

Hope it works out for you, my guess is your neighbour really does love having chickens so perhaps you can negotiate a few benefits for yourself ;)

Back
Top Bottom