Neighbor's dog ate frog >update last pg<

Quote:
It's too early on a Monday for me too, just ask my kids. I can't wait for school to start.

I agree with you %100, I don't think she should own a dog that she can't take care of. I'm just worried about the dog. I wouldn't own a pit bull myself, but hers is a pretty one.

Bufo is the scientific name for toads in general. There's a Cane Toad that's really poisonous, but frogs usually aren't unless they're Dendrobates.

The dog needs to go to the vet, period.

been there/done that! Last year my doxie ate three toads. Didnt realize it till she threw up 3 sets of legs!

Is she sure the dog ate it? The toads are supposed to taste nasty and cause the dog to slobber excessively and puke.

The dog will be fine. There are very few poisonous toads around. Don't let the dog drink too much water too fast. This will increase vomiting. Pepto Bismal is fine for dogs, if u can get them to drink it. They will also puke it up and may stain carpeting. She may have to feed some bland foods; ie mashed potatoes, pasta etc for the day (or maybe two) to help settle the stomach.

by the way, getting bit by a garter snake will do the same thing, just ask my doxie who tormented one till it bit her.

Yes toads have "sacks" where you would think their ears would be, if you squeeze it a white liquid comes out. Its verrrry sticky and nasty if you get it in your mouth. My mom's friend's cat got a hold of a toad and got a mouth infection and died of it. I don't think its poisonous because my friend got some in her mouth, but some animals may have allergic reactions to it. I sugest asking a vet over the phone at very least.

She's doing really well, I just got back from over there, when the dog seen me at the door, she ran up to me and jumped up to say hi as usual. I didn't have any pepto, but I had given her some maalox. They said she is fine thanks to the medicine they got from me.

Thanks everyone for the help. I told the lady about giving her dog some bland foods. She wanted me to thank everyone from BYC.

LOL!!! My pit still hasn't learned, he LOVES playing with toads!!! I would be in the same boat, we couldn't afford to take them to the vet for any sort of emergency. Check ups aren't that much, but emergencies are ridiculous!!! Even if we had the money I couldn't spend that much on a dog, even one as 'human' as Tuna. Call me cruel or inhumane, but a dog is a dog and a person is a person, and the person takes precedence over the dog. At least the lady is giving the pup the best home she can, whether or not it's up to everyone else's standards. Glad to hear the pup's okay!!!

Glad to hear it's doing well too. Just for future reference, I have had to call our vet many times to ask if a medicine was safe for our dog. I cannot afford the emergency fee nor the cost of major treatments though this dog is my son's best friend. The vet always tells me the dose and if the med is safe for dogs or cats or not over the phone. He knows that with my sick child I cannot afford to take the dog and cat to the vet for something that I can try to treat at home. I never get charged for just calling and getting an opinion and a med dose! Glad to hear it is feeling better!!!!

Back
Top Bottom