Neighbors dog skinned chicken

Ok so 4:04am here (my kids wake up in 3 hours!) and he’s washed, trimmed a bit, and greasy from neosporin. Found a small wound on his breast, but it’s scabbed over and closed so I quick spritzed some betadine and then I gave him a pretty quick wash so would like to get a better lather on him tomorrow to really get more grime out. Then neosporin. He drank a bit more water but was sleeping under the faucet most of the wash. He had an awful smelling white poop, hopefully means things are working.
Question on the wing feathers - they certainly lay on the raw part of his back. Should I trim those too? I feel like parts of his wing will touch no matter what - should I be liberal with ointments or is there a way to wrap his wings or wrap his wounds?

I would trim the feathers unless you think the wounds those feathers will touch are minor and will be healing over quickly. I'm only working off the 1 picture, so it's hard to say- but as a general rule anything that will touch a healing area should be trimmed. Same reason they shave around surgical areas for cats and dogs- but unfortunately we can't just shave chickens. =) I'd say trim the wing feathers and be liberal with ointments. He will likely hold his wings a big away from his body for his own comfort.

I would give him a chance at some sugar water to help perk him back up, and maybe some scrambled or hard boiled eggs with some moistened chicken food to get something in him.

I can't thank you enough @Shezadandy ! Obviously was a long night but seems like he is going to make it. I did land up taking him to the vet first thing monday - they did a blood test, were pretty impressed with my clean up (although they did clean up a bit more) and $650 later (seriously, why tho?) it looks like he will pull through barring infection. THANK YOU!

What do you have on hand? I'd go ahead and start applying some warm soapy water on a rag to his wounds. Don't submerge him, that might scare him and put him in a worse situation. So you have any vasiline? if so cover the wound in that after its clean. I've seen birds recover from crazy things with just TLC
THANK YOU for all your help. He might be bald for life but I'm pretty sure he will make it. Hes on oral antibiotics and some pretty greasy topicals but so far he seems pretty perky - fingers crossed for infection/sepsis. Thanks again!

I can't thank you enough @Shezadandy ! Obviously was a long night but seems like he is going to make it. I did land up taking him to the vet first thing monday - they did a blood test, were pretty impressed with my clean up (although they did clean up a bit more) and $650 later (seriously, why tho?) it looks like he will pull through barring infection. THANK YOU!

I'm so happy he made it through that first night- generally if they get through that, they fight back and make it. I bet he'll regrow his feathers after his skin heals and then he should molt - there might be a few scars where he's a little bare, but once he feathers back in- I bet you won't be able to tell. Given how quick you got him cleaned up and that he's on antibiotics, he's got more than a fair chance.

Holy s&*&!!! That's a huge vet bill! Hopefully for all that $$ they also did some xrays to confirm there wasn't anything else damaged underneath all those wounds. I would seriously pass it along to your neighbor. Most definitely.

That’s horrible what happened to your flock! I’m glad your little guy is doing well. I do agree that you should talk to your neighbor, after all their dog was the one who did the damage so maybe you can work something out to keep this from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom