Neighbors Left Me in charge of Chicks, Chick is hurt, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeeper1540, May 29, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbors left this morning until Wednesday. i went down around 11 this morning and everything was fine. i just went down (about 8:00) and the chick is already hurt. the neighbor read that hanging sting s fun for them to play with, but it looks like one of them got it tangled on its tongue. First off, im not even sure if chickens have tongues, ive never thought of it or read about it. i dont think he swallowed it and pulled an organ up, or he would be in worse shape. we cut down all the string she had up, and cut the sting about a foot above hm so we could look closer. looks like its tied around its tongue so we cut it as close to tongue as we could and set him down. he walked into the coop with his tail down. he wasnt bleeding now, but there is blood on his beak and the string that looks dry. he is about 2 months old, barred rock.should we bring him home and put him in a box inside? or leave him there. the other chickens werent pecking at him or anything. please let me know, and if you need anymore info, please ask. [​IMG]

ive only been watching them 8 hours and ive already had a problem. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

if there's any string still around the tongue, it will HAVE TO COME OFF! Immediately remove ALL string from the coop or run; string and chickens is a deadly combination.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

String is very dangerous! Yes, they have tongues and if you don't get it off, the tongue will swell and the chick won't be able to breathe. Neighbor did that to the chick himself, sadly.

4. Jeeper1540

how can i get it off? what do i use?

5. crtrlovr

if you have any available, try using small blade scissors like embroidery scissors, or if anyone in your house sews, try CAREFULLY using a seam ripper/buttonhole knife to CAREFULLY cut the thread. Did I mention CAREFULLY? [​IMG]

6. Jeeper1540

she had string for the chicks since she brought them home from the store, and they always seemed to have fun playing with it and pulling on it. she didnt know this could happen.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I pick up every tiny bit of string I can find around this place so that won't happen. She did the opposite of what she should have. Now, if you can get a seam ripper, cuticle scissors, or any small scissors and get that off before his breath is cut off, we'll all feel better. You may need another pair of hands to help, though.

8. crtrlovr

I'm guessing she must be a new chicken owner. Chickens can die from ingesting string (as can just about any other animal); it can get entangled in the digestive tract and cause loss of blood flow, or can form a bowel obstruction. As you have just learned firsthand, it can get wrapped around the tongue and cause swelling, which in turn can restrict breathing to the point of suffocation.

9. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    I was sewing recently with new chicks on my lap- one of them got the thread tied around her tongue.

It took three of us to get it off.

Take the bird inside, wrap it in a towel with the head out, have someone hold the bird still.

Have another person open the beak

With a fine pair of scissors, pull the thread so you can get it away from the tongue a bit, and then cut.

Give the chick water with poly vi sol or other immune stimulating/ supporting goodies- your choice.

Monitor all night for swelling, you may have to dropper feed the chick water tonight, depending on the severity.

GOOD LUCK, let me know how bad it is. I imagine it will be too traumatic, or difficult to get a pic, but- you know how we BYCer's are [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jeeper1540

how do i get its tongue? just open the mouth and pull it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by