Neighbors rooster attacked one of my baby chickens

Sorry, I got a bit flippant about this matter. I lost thousands of $$ in sheep and goats to stray dogs, usually a nearby neighbors. I live trapped and returned pets and was despised for it. I shot two in the act of killing my favorite ewe and lamb , with the pasture strewn with dead and dying(7) sheep and my granddaughters pet pygmy goat. The people who owned the animals (Husky and mutt) where nice folks, with 3 children, one with severe downs syndrome and their boys helped me sometimes for spare cash. We all felt bad. They had good fences and claimed they did not know the dogs were getting out and killing animals in the area. Then the very nice and friendly Mexican family, across the road, raises fighting cocks! Sometimes dozens of tethered roosters and easily a hundred chickens of all ages roaming around. They occasionally cross the road. I talked to him , years ago about spreading possible disease to my WCB Polish, I kept back then, and he suggested, I shoot the strays, if I wanted to , when they come over here (he seemed sincere and we had a beer). I have once shot and ate two, but they were not worth the effort to clean and cook again. I moved my coop/runs this year to behind my house and two hundred feet additional from the road. I hope none of his strays come near my new flock. Occasionally, the remarkable survivors that those birds are, do get nearly wiped out by predators and disease, with only a handful of roosters and hens surviving, but within a couple years it will be teaming with chickens again! The birds are tough! I would have trouble finding fault with someone being upset, if I let my stock wander unconfined and would be reluctant to complain about their livestock doing the same. I try and get along with people, especially neighbors. Talk to them about what both of you can do to keep your animals safe from each others animals. Try to compromise. If you are keeping livestock on small properties(under a few square miles or so) and especially, near property lines, it is best all livestock be properly confined/contained to your property! That may require completely enclosed runs for both parties! Or, quietly, eat the aggressive strays and do not complain about the neighbor anymore, free ranging!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom