Neighbour attracting foxes

Point out to your neighbor the danger of bringing a known rabies carrier around your property by feeding them. That endangers humans and animals alike.

Don’t use poison. That could kill other animals and birds. Poison doesn’t discriminate.

I shot a fox recently with a .410 shotgun using #8 shot. I caught him in the field looking toward my coop and run. That was two weeks ago and he hasn’t returned. It wasn’t meant to kill him, just to sting him and warn him off. So far it has worked. Had that not worked I would have taken more drastic action. Rabies is a serious problem here and foxes and raccoons are the main carriers so we we certainly don’t encourage them to come around.

I don’t see a middle ground. I think you should turn him in. Feeding wildlife is not a wise move, especially predators. Bad for the foxes, and bad for the chickens. I’d also be tempted to turn them in for not properly caring for their own dog. Most dogs need socialization and training to thrive. In my opinion, they are treating the foxes better than their own dog.
This s something haven't considered. The foxes are probably keeping their dog on edge more than they are mine too. But they call themselves animals lovers.. i need to think about this too

I don't know what will work about the foxes.

It looked to me like your dog was effectively keeping the foxes away from your own chickens and yard-- so just making sure your dog never goes over the property boundary would solve the problem of the dog going onto the neighbor's yard. So that's what I suggested.

If a fence wasn't the kind of suggestion you wanted, you certainly don't have to follow it. But I was not trying to call you irresponsible, and I was thoroughly confused that you thought I was.
I'm sorry. I was expecting a tirade from animal welfare activists telling me I don't know what I'm doing/endangering my dogs,chickens/need a fence. I shouldn't have assumed

I would like to put up a fence, I've looked into it on and off but I can't justify it. I lost 2 birds last year to a fox before we got the LSG. He's great and everyone is calm because of him. The chickens love being outside and he loves watching over them. We free-range them all day and only lost 1 chick to a hawk this year.

Although, I'm considering a very basic exclusion fencing moving forward. Simple 4 foot tall chicken wire wrapped around the perimeter. It would effectively deter surprise attacks during the day and wouldn't restrict my chickens range while allowing my dogs a a somewhat freer range.

The absolute cheapest solution would be stapling chicken wire to trees and I'd be looking at well over 1k$ for something with a marginal benefit at best. I'd rather build a fence with purpose rather than as an ad hoc solution to an unnatural problem

Point out to your neighbor the danger of bringing a known rabies carrier around your property by feeding them. That endangers humans and animals alike.

Don’t use poison. That could kill other animals and birds. Poison doesn’t discriminate.

I shot a fox recently with a .410 shotgun using #8 shot. I caught him in the field looking toward my coop and run. That was two weeks ago and he hasn’t returned. It wasn’t meant to kill him, just to sting him and warn him off. So far it has worked. Had that not worked I would have taken more drastic action. Rabies is a serious problem here and foxes and raccoons are the main carriers so we we certainly don’t encourage them to come around.
I've tried speaking with them. I tried to explain population density/imbalance, disease and dependancy. They're thoroughly convinced that they're doing nothing wrong.

As for shooting, it's all dense vegetation. There's no warning,, they just skirt the perimeter until the dog gets a bead or the chickens sound an alarm. That's why I'm more interested in other options, whether actively hunting them, maybe even with the dog, or passive options

I've tried speaking with them. I tried to explain population density/imbalance, disease and dependancy. They're thoroughly convinced that they're doing nothing wrong.

As for shooting, it's all dense vegetation. There's no warning,, they just skirt the perimeter until the dog gets a bead or the chickens sound an alarm. That's why I'm more interested in other options, whether actively hunting them, maybe even with the dog, or passive options
I have a fox den on my land that I do nothing about, because the foxes are largely unable to catch my chickens. I'm aware you're in a significantly colder climate than myself, however there may still be breeds of chicken you can raise without overt concern of predation

My American Gamefowl are highly predator alert and with an LGD they have almost no concern over foxes. I've watched a fox raid on many occasions and they catch nothing. One time I even saw a broody hen attack a fox to save her babies, and they all survived without injury

I don't even think they're coming here anymore honestly. I think they're killing my neighbors chickens because they have fat, unathletic breeds and I hear dying noises over there occasionally

Consider raising tough chickens?

I'm sorry. I was expecting a tirade from animal welfare activists telling me I don't know what I'm doing/endangering my dogs,chickens/need a fence. I shouldn't have assumed

I would like to put up a fence, I've looked into it on and off but I can't justify it. I lost 2 birds last year to a fox before we got the LSG. He's great and everyone is calm because of him. The chickens love being outside and he loves watching over them. We free-range them all day and only lost 1 chick to a hawk this year.

Although, I'm considering a very basic exclusion fencing moving forward. Simple 4 foot tall chicken wire wrapped around the perimeter. It would effectively deter surprise attacks during the day and wouldn't restrict my chickens range while allowing my dogs a a somewhat freer range.

The absolute cheapest solution would be stapling chicken wire to trees and I'd be looking at well over 1k$ for something with a marginal benefit at best. I'd rather build a fence with purpose rather than as an ad hoc solution to an unnatural problem
You can build your own fence with thin-ish tree branches. Make it as tall as you want, sharpen the end of the branch that is going vertically & stab it into the ground, then proceed with the next vertical branch & so on & so forth, then with thinner branches you create a weave. I think the term is called “whittle fence” but it’s been a while since I’ve done mine. It probably won’t stop him from jumping over eventually, depending on the height of it. They aren’t permanent, but they help for the time being.

It is time consuming, but you can work on it overtime if you don’t have a lot of free time. You should turn your neighbors in. Like you said, foxes are a danger to your chickens, dogs & yourself, especially if a rabid one turns up. We had a den right below our house, my chessie found it after a fox nabbed one of my leghorns.

IMG_1063.png

Last edited:
Keeping chickens, especially when you have containment issues with the birds and guardians puts the burden of additional cost on you. If the cost of keeping your LSG contained to your property, regardless of what is going on across the property boundary is too high, then the cost of keeping chickens maybe too high for you.

This is exactly where I'm at. I don't like any of these options, last resorts even.

A fence is something I'm exploring but I can't justify thd cost. If it was a couple hundred $ sure, at least I tried. But I've neither the time nor money, it would cost over a grand and days of time

So if it's true that these foxes will soon be a much greater threat. What's the most effective way to get them? Plural

The last week the dogs have been wired. There's definitely more activity now, im wondering if it's a female with kits and one of their dens is very close

Shoot, trap, snare or poison?
Trying to shoot them will be a massive time sink and likely without much success and a ton of risks

Finding a den might be possible but I've never tracked a fox before so I'd consider any success would be a matter of chance

Traps and snares are going to be much more effective but assuming there's more than 1 what is the best approach? To me a targeted approach would mean Trying to get them all at once otherwise they'd become much more careful.

Could I reasonably expect to bait them to get a true number on how many there are and how to deal with them?

Can I assume that going into early winter they'll come after the chickens soon?

Poisoning is also a consideration in this case? Could that be the most effective way, or is it just not that easy?

I'm trying to be as responsible as possible. And I need more input before I make a plan

It's better not to use snares or leg hold traps unless one is proficient with them, and snares are most often illegal anyway. You also might want to check with your DNR first as many states consider foxes to be furbearers that can only be harvested in season, unless you have a nuisance permit. Please don't put out poison, also usually illegal, as anything could eat that, including your own or other people's pets.

At this time of year it's highly unlikely that there would be a vixen and kits still using a den, so I wouldn't bother looking for one. But youngsters are liable to still be hunting as a pack and maybe that's what has your dog riled up.

A fence is always your best bet in the long run. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation, keep your dog from going into the neighbor's yard and help prevent future predator attacks. Even if you eliminate these particular foxes, there will always be more of them and various other predators as well.

I said that the neighbors are attracting foxes.

I've explored all reasonable options I can think of. A fence simply isn't a reasonable expenditure for me be expected to endure. In time and money

I'm asking for moral and reasonable solutions to stop them from attracting predators.

Do I turn him in or kill every fox in half a mile? Is there a middle ground?
If your neighbors are choosing to care for the wildlife, that is their choice unless it is actually illegal. You have your dog to protect your chickens and have a secure run, so the foxes aren't a threat, especially as they are being well fed. To my way of thinking, as long as you can always recall your dog before it crosses the property line, I don't see what the issue is. Just make sure that your chickens are safe and your dog isn't in a situation of becoming a nuisance to the neighbors so that they have cause to report you or worse. We have solar powered floodlights around our run and coops which seem to keep the predators at bay, so maybe adding that extra bit of security?

Back
Top Bottom