Neighbour Complaints!?!?

aaronisloan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Hello, I recently got a letter anonymously ( how cowardly ) through the post saying that they work nights and my cockerels and roosters keep them up, I need to sell fast, but I am getting worried now because I may get my chickens taken away from me even the girls D: Please If Anyone Has Any Advise On Silencing Or generally getting them to be quiet please do say so. D: help :(

Hello, I recently got a letter anonymously ( how cowardly ) through the post saying that they work nights and my cockerels and roosters keep them up, I need to sell fast, but I am getting worried now because I may get my chickens taken away from me even the girls D: Please If Anyone Has Any Advise On Silencing Or generally getting them to be quiet please do say so. D: help :(

Where are you located? Different area's have different laws concerning chickens.

The only way I know of to solve the roosters' crowing being a nuisance is to move them somewhere else. Roosters crow.

Unless this fellow sleeps with the windows open, I cannot imagine that the rooster makes enough noise to matter.

I had a neighbor who lives a block away tell me that she could hear my rooster from that distance. I agreed and told her that I could hear the garbage truck from that far away also. She was being petulant because I was taking her to task for open burning during a ban.

I would ignore an anonymous complaint. On the other hand, illegal chickens are difficult to defend.

It seems that your first move is to ascertain the legality of your chickens, then act accordingly.

Chris

Legal or not it is tough to feel your neighbors are out to get you, makes me feel paranoid.
My big roo is really loud too (I happen to work nights and I do not mind him hes My Roo)-- am alittle nervous b/c the House directly accross the street (our land is behind us we have alot of neighbors in front of us) is in escrow and my Big boy sure loves crowing, not constantly but in the Ams and every now and then during the day--

Luckily we are zoned agricultural (just out of town borders by a hair)...

I can certainly sympathize with your plight.

There are noise ordinance laws... that means even if your birds are legal, neighbor complaints can threaten your right to have them. If you don't want your flock threatened by legal authorities, I suggest you evaluate the importance of the roosters. Just saying...

Last edited:
I always wonder why people are so quick to complain about hearing a rooster crow, but never seem to mind the dogs, car radios, construction vehicles & stiff like that. A rooster's crow just makes the heart happy. Can't say that about a log truck.

There are noise ordinance laws... that means even if your birds are legal, neighbor complaints can threaten your right to have them. If you don't want your flock threatened by legal authorities, I suggest you evaluate the importance of the roosters. Just saying...
I was told in order to violate the noise ordinance for say, a dog, he has to bark for TWO SOLID hours, and we all know a roo does not crow for two hours at a time. In my case we are zoned for upwards of 100 chickens an acre, we have 14.... not sure what laws what we could be accused of violating....
It does surprise me when people move to the Country... and then do not like it.....

I always wonder why people are so quick to complain about hearing a rooster crow, but never seem to mind the dogs, car radios, construction vehicles & stiff like that. A rooster's crow just makes the heart happy. Can't say that about a log truck.
IKR! I love it when my birds "talk" to me. It's like music. I don't get how people can complain about that and not about other stuff like you mentioned above.
We live in the country, and when we moved we have to sign something that said we were NOT allowed to complain about any noises or smells or anything because it is an Agricultural Area. So our neighbours had to sign the same thing, so they can't complain! :D

Back
Top Bottom