Neighbourhood rat problem and grumpy neighbour

What state or country does the OP live in? Might make a difference in the advice, it reads as non U.S. perhaps? Most communities will have laws requiring yards and gardens being kept in a manner to deter rats, usually by having stored items like wood piles up off the ground to allow natural predators to do their job.

To deal with rodents you choke off their access to food. Nothing else will work long term.
England. Our garden is a lot tidier than when we moved in 2 years ago. There was a 6.5’ tall by 12’ long by 4.5’ deep pile of wood that was rotting. We took 3 days to clear that. There are two massive mounds of dirt in the back garden that rats have been using. We have been working towards removing the mounds, but they have all sorts of things in them (glass, metal, screws, old tools) so we’re having to be careful. I couldn’t do much when we moved in because there was a bumble bee hive in one. It was just a dumping ground for the last person who lived here. This neighbour told me to be careful because the rats killed his flock years ago. Now he’s told my husband in all of the 50 years he’s been living there, he’s never seen a rat on his property!

Is there a best way to prevent the rats getting in my raised beds other than picking the fruits? Last season they did get in one and ate the unripened squash. Your comment only just reminded me.

If it's that much of a problem, just get some rat bait and drop 1 I'm there burrows. They'll be gone in a week or less.
I mean, that’s never really a good idea as whatever then eats the poisoned rat will be poisoned too. We have 2 Rottweilers and I’m not taking that chance and there are several neighbourhood cats that come in our garden. I’m looking for more preventative measures than killing the animal. I don’t see any burrows that side of the garden anyway. The only ones I see are in our compost heap closet to the house (over 100 feet away) that we’ve stopped adding to in order to get them to leave.

Hello.

(Sorry, but would you mind writing in paragraphs? Would be really easier to read you! Thank you!!)

Look... I am really, really sorry you are dealing with that...

Nevertheless : we have to aknowledge living in a specific area, such as rural area, don't give people the right to ignore basic hygiene.
Indeed : if you settle somewhere, you need to respect the people who were already living here before you...
(I am NOT telling you don't respect them, of course...!! But if ever complaining people are in good faith, you could want to put yourself in their shoes - just to understand they may not be pain in the neck without reason...)

(Sorry : will be a bit long below...)

...I live the countryside. In a rural, agricultural area...

(Not very far from you, since I'm from France...!)

We have rats in the lands, of course... but having rats because we live in the countryside is different than having a RISE in the rat population because some people can do so much nonsense they are attracting the rats in the area.
Indeed : people, especially newcomers, can clearly be the reason quality of life is declining in the countryside...

...Some years ago, rats were literally running inside of my house because of my neighbours : they had the bright idea to adopt chickens... but without being able to (know how to) take care of them correctly!
These people were eventually responsible for a big rat infestation in MY home...!

Of course, that is not because I live in the countryside that I am a dirty person, and so, that I am happy to be infested by rats because of others...!
(Thanksfully, I am not afraid of rats... because otherwise...)

But that's not all...
Another example, just to insist :

...In 2018, in another area (since I had moved then) : a new family came to settle next to my house...

These people, it was clear from the first weeks they settled in, lived on traffic of all kinds...
So, obviously, they had been trying to hide themselves from view - and they were so paranoid they did so openly!
Thus : in order to get my family and me, and another neighbour, out of the neighbourhood - so they could keep doing what they doing without being noticed by people -, these people put goats just A FEW METERS from my BEDROOM...

And I have animals, and I love goats; but trust me : when the smell is so bad you can not sleep or even eat because you have smell of diarrhea in your bed... your health can eventually take a hit so strong you want to cry.

Living (then) in the countryside did not give them the right to make my life miserable - even by using farm animals : I am a person, and I was here BEFORE them; and so, I think I deserve(d) some basic respect.
(I can take smell from all kind of animals, but goats near my bedroom was just TOO MUCH...! And my house is surrounded by cows, so trust me : I'm used to strong smells!!)

In addition : because of these goats, I had been so infested by rats (and flies, among others) even all the cats, that killed several rats per day for each one of them, could NOT stop the rats from running in my garden and destroying my vegetable garden anymore!
(I lost so much money because of that...!!)

Eventually, the gendarmes made the new neighbours remove the goats : their installation was illegal, so they did not even have the right to have them there...

But : these people had next the nerve to take ponies to replace their goat! Again : installation being illegal of course!
Obviously, they STILL did not take care of their (poor) animals; and so, the rat population that increased because of them did not decrease - in spite of the fact the goats were not there anymore...

Rat population in my area only began to decrease some months ago : the man was arrested and put in prison, so the woman had to give away the ponies.
She actually even ran away from the village...

...I love animals...
I HAVE animals. But I never, never provoked a rise in the rat population despite the number of animals I own!

...If you are responsible of a rise in rat population, you really need to find a way to deal with it.
Not only because of your neighbours, but also for your birds' health...!

Where do you put your birds' food?
You could at least want to use wall-mounted feeders, so rats could not get to the food...
(Don't put food on the ground!!)

If rats are NOT attracted to your garden, their population will decrease eventually - especially if you have cats near your house to hunt them down...
And less rats in your garden mean less rats in your neighbours' gardens, and so : everybody will be happy!

...At least, think about inspection : you don't want to have to separate from your birds because of your neighbours if you are not in the wrong, right?

IF you are responsible OR NOT of some rise in the rat population would not really be THE problem with an inspection : indeed, fact is you will have to show that the rats CAN NOT be attracted to your garden in spite of your animals - meaning you really would not be the one responsible of the rat infestation!
So you will be sure to not have any problem aftermath...

Try to talk to your neighbours.
The kindest ones could hide (from you) the fact they have had more rats in their gardens since you are settled next to them... because they would not be so daring to tell you the truth!
Some people are really so kind (OR even so cowardly)...

Good luck!!!

(Also, you could want to know rats, being mammals, apparently hate strong peppers...?
If you can't buy wall-mounted feeders, why not just put some seeds/pellets MIXED with powedered Cayenne peppers on the ground... so rats can eat them AND suffer because of peppers... and so they won't want to come again in your garden to - maybe - steal food from your birds?
If I had a rat infestation AND no other solution for the time being, I would actually try this method at least for two-three days - until I find better feeders...!
But I don't know if it really works...)

NOTE : If you are NOT responsible for a rise in the rat population on your area... really GOOD LUCK to prove it!

Last edited:
It sounds like your neighbor has early signs of dementia. Just be aware of that.

It might help if you set up a containment system where the rats could easily get in, but find it very hard to get back out. Into this you put poison. Something that will give a fast death. This way, you won't have them dying all over the place, and won't have them being eaten by other animals.

With a bucket trap, I don't think there are survivors. You do have to know how big the rats are so that they can't get from the water to the lip of the bucket.

Are chicken and animals allowed?

Is there an HOA or something?

If you’re following the rules, then oh well. Not your problem as to where they come from. Basically, if you’re within your rights…they can’t do anything.

Hi.

If you’re following the rules, then oh well. Not your problem as to where they come from. Basically, if you’re within your rights…they can’t do anything.

You actually are wrong.

Maybe there exist countries allowing birds' owners to be responsible of a rise in a rat population and, thus, make their neighbours' life miserable... but United Kingdom is not such a country.

There are regulations.
Thanksfully, because some people really don't know what they are doing when they decide to adopt chickens, ducks, or whatever they want to own...
(I am NOT telling @Saie609 is such a person, huh...!)

Unfortunately in the UK ignoring him won’t help because, from my understanding, the local authority does have the jurisdiction to make one get rid of most types of pets if they’re causing a nuisance (outside of cats and dogs). Anyone from the uk, correct me if I’m wrong.

I did some research, and here is what I found you could want to read :
- https://keeping-chickens.me.uk/gett...ations/the-prevention-of-damage-by-pests-act/
- https://nuisanceneighbours.co.uk/neighbours-chickens-attracting-rats-what-you-need-to-know/

Again, good luck...

Back
Top Bottom