Neighbour's cat taunting my chickens

We live out in the country and pet dumping is a real problem; we end up with dogs a occasionally and cats pretty frequently. If they're approachable, we put them on local FB pages looking for a home before we resort to sending them to the shelter. If they're unapproachable, they get trapped and turned over to the shelter. If they menace the chickens or turkeys, they get put down on the spot.

I have chicks coming and I have 6 cats, but they have their own yard in a 6ft high fence. I believe in keeping cats safe, wild birds safe and my neighbors un-annoyed. My chickens will be housed out side of the cats yard in a secure coop. Will be putting up electric wire and some video cameras to keep my paranoid eyes on them all. (Lord of the Rings style)

MOST people keep chicks in brooders for a couple weeks then move them to covered grow out pens or covered runs after they feather out .Unfortunately there are more predators that eat baby birds and chicks than eat adult chickens.Raising baby chicks is challenging.I do hope you take raising them serious enough to protect them better.I wish you the best regardless what happens to the cat!BTW rats do eat baby chicks.They'll eat them too if they can corner them away from the broody hen.

I have bantams and several neighbouring cats that trespass all the time. Some of them are killers. But not chicken killers. Some cats lure and the chickens get a bit alarmed by them. But not the way they react on seeing a dog. If they see a dog they panic. One chicken once was ‘attacked’ by a playful young dog, but rescued in time.

In the 8 years I have chickens I lost a few to predators. One by a buzzard (probably), one by a fox (certain). And a few chicks to a rat that chewed itself through the netting (certain).

The cats never really attacked my adult tiny chickens. Are you sure it was you’re neighbours cat that killed the adult chicken?

That questioned, I wouldn’t trust a cat with chicks. Chicks are a treat for cats and many more animals.
Imo chicks need to be locked in against all kind of predators. Cats, quit a number of birds of prey , rats, … I only let chicks free range under supervision where the broody and I am in control.

Btw. Here we have no law that says that cats are not allowed to trespass. And I don’t mind they do. Because I don’t have rodents because of them.

PS and I don’t want an argument with all my neighbours. They are the ones that look after our chickens when I’m on a vacation.
We have a new cat on the block. Don’t know who the owner is. He (I think he’s male) does chase the chickens when he comes over. One chicken panicked and flew against the window the first time he was around. Another hen went missing the other day when he was around.
8B2D2573-0080-4C06-A091-BE952B8BE4B7.jpeg

The chickens behaviour changed because of this cat. They flee or go back into the run nowadays if they spot this cat.

We have a new cat on the block. Don’t know who the owner is. He (I think he’s male) does chase the chickens when he comes over. One chicken panicked and flew against the window the first time he was around. Another hen went missing the other day when he was around.
View attachment 3261641
The chickens behaviour changed because of this cat. They flee or go back into the run nowadays if they spot this cat.
Trap it

Back
Top Bottom