Nervous about eating your own eggs? I am.

thumbsup.gif
Congrats to everyone who has had the forsight and courage to do something new!
I just have to throw this in...
I had a very nice couple come and buy a roo from me. They needed a roo because they were afraid to eat thier hens eggs. The husband refused to eat unfertilized eggs. They said they were both raised on farms and had been tought that if the eggs arent fertilized, they will go bad very quickly.

Its all about what your used to I guess!

I was raised on homegrown eggs, and since I left home I haven't liked eggs. Until I got my own chickens!
wee.gif

I love your description of the differences you noticed in your own eggs vs storebought, I went through the same thing, only the other way around.

Something I noticed that actually grossed me out is this; I found a hidden nest of eggs last summer under the coop. They were filthy, and I had no idea how long they had been there, but it had been a couple weeks since the hen's who's eggs they were had supposedly stopped laying, I though because of the heat, it had been in the 90's. I figured the eggs would be unfit to eat, but did a float test anyway, just out of curiosity. They were all good, so I decided to cook them up for the chickens and my pet rats. I opened the first egg and it was a little more watery than usual, but perfect. I had some eggs in the fridge that my MIL gave me since they werent eating eggs anymore. I cracked one of those in with the first. The yolk was smaller, sickly pale, and more watery and cloudy than the ones I figured were spoiled
sickbyc.gif
. It really drove home to me just how much fresher and healthier home grown eggs are! I ended up cooking up the store eggs for the rats only, and we ate the ones I found under the coop, except for one that was a bit cloudy, the dogs got that one.

No, not nervous. It was odd to be eating something that came out of the rear of an animal I raised, but oddly cool at the same time. My four year old son pretty much ate most of the first egg though. He didn't want to share with mom and dad so much.

Nervous? No, I was thrilled to finally be eating REAL eggs again after years of store bought anemic looking eggs! My grandfather ran a farm till he was in his 90's so I grew up eating real farm fresh eggs most of the time. Now, big white eggs with pale yolks and watery whites look very unappetizing to me. And I know what my chickens are eating and what they aren't, too. Since my chickens started laying about five years ago, I've had to buy only one carton of eggs at the store and they looked so weird, I really didn't want to eat them.

i was a bit nervous about the quail eggs, since ive never had them before and they dont really "crack" open... they kind of need to be peeled lol like a reptile egg. so foreign to me >.> but they are delicious and i can taste that they ate my heavily-garliced tablescraps lmao... maybe a bit of my imagination too. theyre so very cute in the frying pan, though
big_smile.png

My wife and I both revel in eating our own eggs. They are FRESH and since I feed them better than any commercial producer. Yolks have good color and sit high in the frying pan. I also know my birds are well cared for.

There is nothing better than eggs from healthy, happy, thriving hens. I cannot even imagine using a store bought egg. That IMAGE of those poor factory chickens is burnt into my brain. Don't be nervous!

I've never been nervous about eating my own eggs, but it probably helped that I was around 7 or 8 when my family first got chickens, so I grew up eating eggs from our own chickens.

It does seem like it takes forever for those first eggs to come when you're waiting around for a young pullet to start laying, doesn't it? I've been there, and will be there again later this year when my current batch of chicks get to laying age. I, too, get excited about first eggs. lol! Last year I took pictures of one of my Old English Game Bantam hen's first eggs because it was so tiny and adorable.
tongue.png

People say that I am weird but I still dont' eat my chickens eggs. I was raised on farm eggs and the ones from the store are jsut yucky but I just can't stand to eat my birds eggs. I have used a few in a brownie mix but that's about it. I hatch all of mine.
Little silkie eggs just don't get it for me. I buy the big brown ones from a farmer down the road.
hide.gif

I can't wait till mine start laying. I was raised on farm fresh eggs and I won't hesitate when it comes eating them. I'm going to have the first one easy over with Spatz Bread, toasted of course!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom