Nervous- Early Hatch

GirlsMommy18

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
South Florida
Probably a stupid question. It's day 19 for the eggs under our broody hen. 1 has already hatched and dried, another has pipped and is chirping, and I've no idea on the third.

Mamma hen keeps repositioning the eggs. Is this bad? We're leaving them alone and watching from a distance, but we weren't expecting any chicks until Monday.

I'm going to assume not since we now have 2 healthy babies and the 3rd is pipping. She moved the hatching eggs a good foot from where they started.

Why would eggs under a broody hatch out so early? It's only day 18/19, and I marked the eggs and put them under her so I know exactly when incubation started. The first baby was born early in the day, followed by the second in the evening. I put eggs under her at night, so the first chick wasn't quite at day 19 when it hatched. It was supposed to be a Monday/Tuesday hatch date. Why?

I'm going to assume not since we now have 2 healthy babies and the 3rd is pipping. She moved the hatching eggs a good foot from where they started.

Why would eggs under a broody hatch out so early? It's only day 18/19, and I marked the eggs and put them under her so I know exactly when incubation started. The first baby was born early in the day, followed by the second in the evening. I put eggs under her at night, so the first chick wasn't quite at day 19 when it hatched. It was supposed to be a Monday/Tuesday hatch date. Why?
As with most of life, the timing is only an estimate. Every batch or birth has it's own set time for maturation. I'm so happy for you and your newborns. Congratulations!

JaeG So did my hen, that's why I was worried. I guess they know what they're doing though. All 3 eggs hatched healthy babies in spite of the roller ride. Crazy!

Our broodies were still flipping the eggs even as they were pipping (whereas we wouldn't dare do that if the eggs were in an incubator). 🤣 And they got up for refreshments while the eggs were pipping.

Attachments

• 20200809_080018.jpg
    20200809_080018.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200809_080030.jpg
    20200809_080030.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom