Nervous - first timer

Sounds like everything is going well!!! (Except the stinker and good thing you found it now!!)

There's not much to see on day 7. Try again at day 10. It's a little easier to see.

Good luck!!

Well on midday check of bator, another stinker. Sniffed eggs again til found it. Was weeping a bit too. Down to 22 in bator.

cqranch - where did you get your barnevelders from? I'm thinking about trying them next year.

Good luck with your hatch! I'm watching this thread with a lot of interest!

Oh...that's not good. Are these your own eggs or were they shipped? What day are you on? I just looked at the calendar and realized I'm on day 18!! OOPS! So off the turner they'll go today.

Even with 22 eggs, you should hopefully get at least half. Will cross my fingers for you!!

The Barnevelders I got from a lady in Fair Grove, Missouri. I picked them up instead of having them shipped, was two hours away so just planned a weekend trip around it. She ships all over the United States. peaceofthyme.com

The two stinkers I tossed were both from my own eggs. Mostly Barred Rocks. I'm on day 9

Opening the bator lid does not hurt....I open mine all the time...when the eggs are not hatching AND while they are hatching....I have had no problem...as a matter of fact I usally have 100% hatch rate ( on my own eggs that have not been shipped)....If you have ever watched a hen sitting on eggs she does get off of them...at least my hens do...and babies hatch.
My hen was just sitting on eggs and several times I went out there to find her off the eggs and the eggs were kinda cold to the touch....she went back and sat back on them everytime and she had the eggs hatch just fine
I think people stress to much about it....its not an exact science like eveybody thinks
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree. Also in a still air your temps should be 101-102 so expect your hatch to be a day or two late if you keep the temp at 99-100(force air range).

Krista

I agree too - I open mine all the time. Had two chicks hatch today! Pipped on day 18 (noticed 1 when I took them off the turner last night) and another pipped this morning. Were both hatched by the time I got home today. I kept my temp (still air) at 102 so I don't know if it's my thermometer or not, but 101 is where it needs to be. I'm crossing my fingers that the rest are ok. Never had them hatch this early before!

Just checked out the barnevelder site - very pretty birds and I love the color of the eggs!!!! Very nice - hope you have a great hatch!

I have a question. I have one pip today, at what point is it ok to step in and help if they have not made any progress getting out? I can see his beak,and he is making a bunch of noise, he/she has a nice little hole going, but if it gets stuck, or tired? what are the signs to help??

OH NO NO NO - resist every urge you have and do not help it. It could take another day or more for it to fully hatch at this point. I have noticed that the ones I've helped shouldn't have hatched.

If they make it out themselves, then they were meant to...

Besides, they will pip and nap alot in between while their bodies continue to absorb the yolk sac. It'll hatch when it's ready. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom