Nervous in Utah!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MissColee, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MissColee

MissColee New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    After loads of research and finding all the right stuff, we brought home our chicks tonight. 3 rhode island reds and 2 Silver Tipped. They're SO DANG CUTE!
    But being the nervous mom I am, Im well.. nervous. Our brooder is oval and made of heavy plastic, I have the light on one end and left the other end "shady" incase they got too warm. The lamp is about 12" off of the pine chips, they look warm and happy. They're not huddled in a bunch or anything. Im assuming thats whats supposed to happen if they get too cold.
    I guess Im just asking for someone to tell me that they're going to be ok and to quit worrying! LOL They're just so dang cute Id feel so bad if anything happened to them. Does this look right? ( and yes, there is food in there for them, its just closer to the wall where you can't see it well)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. FallCreekFarm

FallCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    South of Branson, MO
    Looks good to me as long as you don't have cats! I've had them in little swimming pools, boxes, dog kennels? These people have great info just read some posts and you'll learn some great stuff. Hello for Missouri!

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!!
    [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Congratulations on your new babies! I remember how nervous I was in the beginning too. The only thing I would suggest is that you do everything you can to make sure there is no way that heat lamp can fall, come unclipped, tip, get knocked over, knocked into, flown into or touched by anything. House, barn and coop fires are in the news all the time due to these dangerous heat lamps. Don't be nervous about the chicks, they will manage just fine. Give them enough room to grow, clean water and food and they will do well. Do worry about the heat lamp. Safety first.

That having been said, enjoy your babies and let us know if we can help with any questions at all!
    [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

They're going to be OK and quite worrying [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by