Nervous in Utah!

MissColee

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
After loads of research and finding all the right stuff, we brought home our chicks tonight. 3 rhode island reds and 2 Silver Tipped. They're SO DANG CUTE!
But being the nervous mom I am, Im well.. nervous. Our brooder is oval and made of heavy plastic, I have the light on one end and left the other end "shady" incase they got too warm. The lamp is about 12" off of the pine chips, they look warm and happy. They're not huddled in a bunch or anything. Im assuming thats whats supposed to happen if they get too cold.
I guess Im just asking for someone to tell me that they're going to be ok and to quit worrying! LOL They're just so dang cute Id feel so bad if anything happened to them. Does this look right? ( and yes, there is food in there for them, its just closer to the wall where you can't see it well)

Last edited:
Looks good to me as long as you don't have cats! I've had them in little swimming pools, boxes, dog kennels? These people have great info just read some posts and you'll learn some great stuff. Hello for Missouri!

Hi && Welcome!!!!
wee.gif

Congratulations on your new babies! I remember how nervous I was in the beginning too. The only thing I would suggest is that you do everything you can to make sure there is no way that heat lamp can fall, come unclipped, tip, get knocked over, knocked into, flown into or touched by anything. House, barn and coop fires are in the news all the time due to these dangerous heat lamps. Don't be nervous about the chicks, they will manage just fine. Give them enough room to grow, clean water and food and they will do well. Do worry about the heat lamp. Safety first.

That having been said, enjoy your babies and let us know if we can help with any questions at all!

Back
Top Bottom