Nervous new Duckie Mom-Question

neverbdone

Songster
14 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Lake Isabella, CA
My first Muscovy baby hatched this morning (not) from under mom. Is it normal they kick the egg out from under them when they hatch? Also, she got out to eat and when she went in she steped on top of his head.
barnie.gif
He seems fine, but just sleeping. Should I leave everything alone, worry, or is there need to remove this baby? Please advise ducky gurus.
hu.gif

If you're worried about it, take the ducklings away and put them in a brooder. Last year my Mallard hatched out ducklings and they all died - she didn't show them how to eat or drink. So I'm a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Give her time, my khaki campbell, hatched 19, 2 died, 1 straight after birth, another from being squished, but aslong as they have enough space and time, it will be ok, but have the brooder on the ready.

I heard that Muscovys were great moms, but too late for the first one. I went to a meeting and then returned to find she pushed him out of the duck house and he was laying on the ground in the run gone. Bummmmmmbed. Can't stay up all night to see when the others hatch to remove them. If she continues this I will snatch any that hatch as soon as I can, but she is really nasty right now. Trying to leave her alone as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom