Nervous New Member in Florida

okay, playing with the incubator for the last 72 hours..cannot get the humidity up past 38%, which is funny since I live in FLORIDA!!! Eggs arrived at 4:30, gently opened them, but left them in egg cartons to "settle" for 24 hours...correct? I put 1/2 glass of water in incubator 35 minutes ago and % went from 27 to 38% temp is at 100 even. SO, I'm thinking a full glass will get it up to 50%, maybe 2/3 cup?? AAARRGH!!! How do you do this and not go crazy?????

I'm sooo sorry about your poor baby!!!! Chickens have a way of getting into your heart! Please know that I know how you feel and am wishing you the best...

WOW!!! my favorite color!!!! PURPLE!!! Thank you for the welcome!! Things are stirring up in the Nebeker Nuthouse...eggs arrived at 4pm,.....Sanity left at 5!!!!! lol

Thank you for the welcome and the links!!! I am going to be busy tonight!!! Eggs arrived at 4pm....Sanity left shortly thereafter!!!!

Hi there,
I have been raising chickens for a little over a year, with some wonderful memories and some horrific ones too. I never knew raccoons ate chickens...living in the country...I am learning.
My newest venture is into Malaysian Bantam chickens. I have a roo who I call "Sir Struts alot" as he is very proud of himself. I could not find any hens anywhere that I could afford. Sooooo, I decided to venture into hatching fertilized eggs...I have 15 coming SOON, and after reading everything on the internet and then finding BYC, I am thoroughly confused. (Which my husband assures me is a normal state of being for me...something about blond hair)...anyhoo, I would appreciate anyone who could answer some questions about incubating.
1. I live in Northern Florida where the "humudity" is like mud...been here 23 years and still take 2-3 showers a day. So, what should the humidity be for Serama eggs? For the first 18 days of incubation, keep the humidity at about 45-50%. Then, during the last 3 days or so (Seramas often hatch early, at least that I've heard), get the humidity up to 65-70%.
2. Temperature? Depends on the incubator. "Forced Air" (with a fan to circulate air) incubators should be kept at 99.5 degrees Farhenheit for the entire incubation. "Still Air" (with no fan) incubators should be kept at about 100-101 degrees Farhenheit for the entire incubation. Its all right if the temp fluctuates a little, but you don't want it much below 98 or above 103.
3. What is "lockdown". I've read that several times...also candling...I cannot see thru the shells...is there a trick that I don't know??? Lockdown is what you do the last 2-3 days of incubation: increase the humidity, stop turning, and leave the eggs completely alone. The incubator and the eggs in it should become like a locked box--don't disturb them, as the chicks are getting ready to hatch. I don't have any candling suggestions, other than get a brighter flashlight.
I've tried flashlights, candles(yes, I did!!) and nothing lets me in!!! :)
rant.gif

Any one out there got any answers for me???? It will be greatly appreciated!!!
bow.gif

Thank you for reading!!
Patti
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! I've answered your questions above the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom