1. So I am needing to build some nest boxes for my banties. What do you fill the boxes with and where do you get it? How much is it?[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I use straw but most people like to use pine shavings. Straw is 4.50 a bail.[​IMG]

3. Thank You [​IMG] .Where can you get the straw?

4. beach livin'

beach livin' Songster

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    im going to use straw or shavings. i noticed my local ACE Hardware carries it. We have ONE feed store, and they are astronomical in rates.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I use sand in the coop but shavings in the nests. I got a huge bag at TSC for $4.99.

6. right now I have clay cat litter in the bottom of the chicken house. Its easy to scoop out the droppings with an scoop. I am going to make neast boxes How deep dose the nest box stuff have to be? What size box should they be for some banties ? Thank you everyone for all the help [​IMG]

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Songster

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Like PP said, TSC cheapest for pine shavings. Need about 3"-4" deep so be sure the front of your nest boxes has a lip to keep shavings in when the girls go scratching around in them. Good luck
    Erik

8. groundpecker

groundpecker Songster

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I use dried lawn clippings for the nest boxes. Free and the hens like it more than hay or wood chips.

9. Quote:[​IMG] thease are all great I will be now mowing the lawn lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by