Nest box design and placement

This shows the bar (my nests will look different), see where it shows 12" front to back for the nests? Then doesn't gove a measurement from the front of the nest to the perch/bar/landing place. I'm not sure what to call it.
Ah.

I don't think Australops would need help to get in there, so you could probably just skip that front perch.

But if you want to have one, I would follow @aart 's advice

Not being a carpenter I decided to make a simple long, wide and tall box for a nest box and attached it lower than the floor of the coop so technically my coop is a bi level. The hens can simply jump down into the nest box to lay from either side of the nest box.It has 2 entrances and no dividers. It also has a louvered vent for light and ventilation.
What breed(s) do you have? A few people have talked about community nests are liked by some breeds and individual/divided nests are liked by other breeds - more consistently so than random chance would account for.

Do you have a picture of your nest? One of the things I like about the old crates is the slates instead of solid walls.

We aren't much of carpenters either. Measure four times; cut twice is pretty standard.

What breed(s) do you have? A few people have talked about community nests are liked by some breeds and individual/divided nests are liked by other breeds - more consistently so than random chance would account for.

Do you have a picture of your nest? One of the things I like about the old crates is the slates instead of solid walls.

We aren't much of carpenters either. Measure four times; cut twice is pretty standard.
I can take a picture tomorrow ok? I have 5 Dominiques and 1 barred rock hatched April 7th and get 5 small eggs a day.They started laying at 20 weeks old.

Sounds like you would use distance again. I like yours - especially the round entrance but I don't think I can cut it with the tools we have.
I did replace the 2x2 perch with a 2x4 because of a clutzy brahma,
but yes it's worked out very well.
Used a jig saw to cut the circles.

Attachments

• WP_20210918_14_59_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210918_14_59_54_Pro.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20210918_15_01_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210918_15_01_51_Pro.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20210918_14_50_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210918_14_50_21_Pro.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 10
Not your usual 'nests'....more like a separate room in the coop.
Put some fake eggs in there.
Edited:
They lay good in this large open nest but I only have 6 hens .They've used it from day one without fake eggs. What would be the purpose of my using fake eggs? I chose this style so they won't fight over the nest boxes and was able to keep all my floor space.

I can take a picture tomorrow ok? I have 5 Dominiques and 1 barred rock hatched April 7th and get 5 small eggs a day.They started laying at 20 weeks old.
I would do nests like yours if I could have any coop. I like it very much and have similar numbers and goals. Thank you

I would have replied to your pictures if was better at navigating the forum. Or this reply might be a mess if my attempts are part of the post.

I think fake eggs can help but are only really needed if the nest doesn't trigger significantly more instincts telling her it is a good nesting spot than the other spots available. Which might be variable - a hen with a very weak nesting instinct might go with anything close not bothering to find the best. And one with a very strong nesting instinct might try a new site even if one is clearly better.

Back
Top Bottom