Nest box dividers šŸ˜

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
When I built my coop, I left dividers out of the nest box to see what they would do. Welllll after a few weeks they made a 3 nest box without dividers šŸ˜ so they arenā€™t necessary!

Attachments

• 35104E69-C0F7-4099-A8DD-CFB4A96EBF2C.jpeg
    35104E69-C0F7-4099-A8DD-CFB4A96EBF2C.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 30
I'm surprised that your girls are being that cooperative. When I had 5 girls using 3 nest boxes, there would be a daily battle on who gets to use one in particular. So the egg-song would be sang for hours! Mixed up the group a bit since then and now currently have 4 girls using 6 nest boxes and 1 girl using the original 3 and things seem to be going smoothly. Planning up upping their populations when this next group gets old enough to go out there.

13 girls using these 3. It was the same on the last coop. Iā€™ve read that itā€™s 3-5 birds per nest and from my experience it has held true. Iā€™m sure if you offer more they would use them, but my girls seem to do well with 3 nests šŸ˜

I had 8 girls using an old doghouse that I converted to have a hinged lid. I figured I might add dividers if they seemed to tussle over it, but they never had any issues, even when I had a broody, i just put a wire crate divider panel in and they made a new nest.

Not our experience. We did the same-wide nest box, no dividers. We HAD to put dividers in bc a couple girls bossed those boxes and seriously wouldnā€™t let others in. And they were not broody. We ended up building new nest boxes a couple years Later. We made 5 compartments: 2 xtra large ones on the bottom, and 3 regular size ones on top.

Each flock is different. What works for one may not work for another.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom