Nest box fillers? can I use other things?

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
Has anyone used anything other than straw in their nest boxes? I have a huge supply of shredded paper from work, and wondered if it would be suitable, or if it would get to wet and yeuchy.
roll.png

Wood shavings, Spanish moss, many things work. Shredded paper should work fine too, just make sure it is thick enough to give a good cushion to the egg when it is laid. Thye will scratch out a hollow for the nest. If you try it and don't like it, what have you lost?

I've been using shredded newspaper for months now and they move it around easily to make new nests. I replace it every once and a while as needed.

My boxes don't have a high enough edge to keep shavings or straw from falling out. I was using an old bath mat I had cut into squares to fit the boxes. When I ran out of those I started using old towels. They don't get that dirty and when they do, I just wash them. It is practically maintenance free
tongue2.gif

I like the idea of old towels. I used to use them with my pet rat a few years back and they worked great too. I just thought since i have a shredder here at work i would make the most of it! and when i compost it with the chips from their floor, it would be awesome for the garden too.! Well, we will just have to see what they are picky for. thanks
smile.png

At first I used the pine shavings that I use on the floor but they started laying their eggs on the floor too so now I put straw on top of the shavings and make a little dent in the middle for them. The shavings make it cushy and cozy but they stopped laying on the floor. I think you could do the same with shredded paper and yeah it would be fine in the compost. I also use some old hay that was no good for the horses.

Back
Top Bottom