Nest Box Height for RIR

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ckkevin, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ckkevin

ckkevin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    How high can I expect my RIRs to be able to jump/fly to get into the nest boxes?

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    My RIR's have no problem getting up to their roost which is about 4 1/2 feet above the coop floor. Their nest boxes are only about 18" off the floor.

Edited to add.... Welcome to BYC! It's been a wealth of information for me as I'm a novice at chickens and ducks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    RIR can handle three to four feet no problem.
    Make sure roosts are higher then nest boxes.
    I have my nest boxes starting at 30 inches and this is for selfish reasons. I don't like to bend over to collect the eggs. [​IMG]

4. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I' m in the process of building a new coop and am placing the outside collectable nestbox about 14 inches off the floor. This makes it a height outside that my gkids can collect those eggs. They just love gathering the *chicken eggs*. I don't mind bending a bit to collect them if it gives my gkids wonderful memories! I still remember collecting eggs from my friends grandmother when I was about 6. Made quite an impression!~[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by