1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest box height off ground??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by linetangler, Sep 1, 2013.

1. linetangler

linetangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    Sorry for all the pesky question I just want this right. But what is a good height from the ground should my nest boxes be?? I've seen many different heights. Thanks again for the help.

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest box height is dependent on what type of chickens you have. I have Golden Comet hens and my nest boxes are 2 feet off the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. linetangler

linetangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    Ill be purchasing Rhode Island Red hens

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Rode Island Reds could easily handle nest boxes 2 feet off the floor. Which free up room under your boxes if space is at a premium like in my case (4x8 foot print coop).

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I agree, I LOVE the multi level coop idea (as well as all of Hokum Coco's pictures!)

the only thing with nest boxes two feet up, they need something to land on. Even the very skinny edge of a 1x2 would work, but the cut edge of the top of a plastic 5 gallon feed bucket lid would probably be a bad idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by