Nest Box Herbs & Silkies

chickdoula

Chirping
Apr 19, 2021
I have two gorgeous white Silkie pullets who just came into lay, and I have sweet smelling nest box herbs that I added to the nest boxes for them. I am new to chickens but am very well-read and I have not come across the behavior of my silkies ANYWHERE.

The bearded one started laying first, and as she was preparing herself, she kept picking up the various herbs and throwing them on her back - almost like self-medicating??? I could not believe my eyes and made sure it was the herbs that she picked up. Now the non-bearded has begun to lay and she also does this! It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I can’t blame them, because the herbs smell divine, but it was very purposeful and interesting. Has ANYONE ever observed this behavior in their flock? Does anyone know why they do this?
Thank you,
Gina

Thank you - it’s actually adorable. Silkies are such sweet chickens. I use small wood pellets so the bedding doesn’t stick to their feet, so the only thing that they can pick up and toss on their backs would be the herbs, so that makes sense!

Are the wood pellets hard on their feet? I use a shaving/straw mix which is nice and soft.
The pellets are actually “partially crushed” so they are firm but really small, not hard like gravel, and it’s level. I’ve tried a lot of different things and they seem to be most comfortable with these. It’s also easy for me to identify soiled areas and spot clean daily so it stays really nice for them in between full cleanings - about once every week or ten days. We are in the Arizona mountains and it is mostly dry here so they don’t disintegrate right away. I have also tried chopped straw and wood shavings and these seem to be the easiest for their mobility with no Velcro effect 🤣.

BUT… we do have monsoon season in the summer, which is the only time it stays wet/damp on the outside of their coop in their run and I was loosing my mind trying to keep them dry outside. The LARGE pine pellets are FANTASTIC for this (as a side note). I emptied a bag in the mud. They absorbed and disintegrated and stayed like dry sawdust for a time so they could keep their feet dry while outside. Also easy cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom