Nest box inprovments

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have 5 hens that can't make up their mind where to lay. I found 4 eggs in the nest boxes yesterday. Today I found 9 buried in the wood chips under the nest boxes. I keep the nest boxes layered in straw. I also have golf balls in the nest boxes. This summer the hens started laying in the straw in the covered run. I have been like a kid on a Easter egg hunt. Does anyone have any suggestions how I should change the nest boxes to make them more likable to the chickens. Right now they are 12x12x12 made out of pine with a 1x2 on the front edge to keep the eggs from rolling out. On the back of the nest boxes (3) is a door to collect the eggs. I guess I don't need that. The hens are 3 buff orps and 2 black australorps. Help, John

How high up are the nest boxes? If hens prefer to lay on the ground, it may be a good idea to lower the boxes. I sometimes take a few eggs and mark them then put one or two in the nest boxes even though I have golf balls in there. This has worked for me. I also put the same bedding in the nests, in my case pine shavings, as I use for bedding. Another thing, if the nest box is off the ground it should have a roost on the front so they can sit on the roost and look into the nest. These are just a couple of ideas, hope they help.
smile.png

I agree with BreckyLa, use the same material in the nest box as on the floor. How much room is above the nest boxes? Some chickens like more room above their head so they can strech out. You might try putting a milk crate in one of the nest areas. This gives the chicken the feeling of hiding and nothing can see them. Or just built another side on what you have.

Back
Top Bottom