Nest box location

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickbotfamily, Nov 11, 2009.

1. chickbotfamily

chickbotfamily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    I need to know if this is a good location for our nest box. I have a kitchen cabinet that I took the door off and placed the nest box inside. Over the cabinet is the Roost. Could this cause issues? The roost is sent back a good 8-10 from the edge. Also does the nest need to be off the ground. Here are some pic.

[​IMG]

The Roost and nest box

[​IMG]

Close up

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Looks good to me! [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Me too, the nest box is sheltered and it's easy to scrape down the roost area- you'll get all of the night manure before it ever hits the floor...

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    looks good to me too.

5. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    looks good

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay, now I can't tell as much as what I'd like from the photo, but based on what I'm seeing, I'll disagree with LynneP about being easy to scrape (but I may be looking at it wrong). Is the roost the 2 x 4 at the very tip top of the upper photo??? What is the ledge looking thing I'm seeing, that kind of looks like a narrow strip of counter top?? Is that counter thing wide enough to catch all of the poop??? I was thinking that if you put a slanted sheet of something in that area under the roost (on top of the cabinet w/slant forward) then it would catch the poop (easy to scrape), but because it's slanted, would discourage a chicken from landing/standing on it... Cool use of an old cabinet! And is the drawer a working one?? Storage of small items!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by