nest box location...

cptbahama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
augusta, georgia
The henhouse is 6' x 5' by 3' high inside of the coop. The pic shows the nestbox mounted on the wall of the henhouse. It is 7" off the bottom of the henhouse (assume a few inches of pine shavings). The location of the two roosts is what I am not sure about. All of these things can be moved. I just need your input. Thanks!

76677_dsc_0022_resize.jpg

It looks fine as it is to me, except I am wondering about distances with the roosts. For large fowl, a common rule of thumb is 12" from the coop wall and 12" apart, plus 12" of linear space for each chicken.

I was wondering about the headroom situation, too. Unless you have very small bantams (and even then) the chickens on the high roost (and they'll all want to roost there, no matter how cramped) are going to be really squished. Make sure there's nothing sharp or splintery up there on the ceiling that could injure their combs.

Personally, I'd make both roosts the same level, because this avoids squabling in the flock about who gets the preferred roost, and I'd lower both roosts to give adequate headroom, say 18-24 inches for standard chickens. That would mean lowering your nestbox, too, so that it's lower than the roost. I'm not sure if you really have room to do all that, though. A three foot tall coop is tricky for interior design.

Back
Top Bottom