Nest Box or No Nest Box?

Bacchus

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
I have 10 chickens, but only 1 is old enough to lay (just got my first egg yesterday). My question is whether or not I should put the nest boxes into my coop? The other pullets are 8 and 13 weeks, so they probably have a while until they start laying... What should I do? Also, should I switch the feed over to laying feed or should I stick with the grower feed? I have no way of separating them at the moment, since I only have 1 coop. Thanks in advance!
smile.png

I would go ahead and add the nest boxes. I have yet to have an egg not layed in the nest boxes. The nest boxes were in place when only a few hens started laying. I think the hens that started laying later learned the right spot from the early bloomers.
With only one hen laying I would continue them on the grower and offer a small amount of oyster shell on the side for your one hen that is laying.

I was in the similar situation that you are need now when my chicks were getting older. My solution was that I set up a temporary fence inside my run to split the birds. Once I did that and they got a little older, they learned that they could fly over the temp. fence, but couldn't get back into their pen. I then mad a hole in the fence for the little birds could go through, but not the larger birds. This made it where I could keep feeding them their grower until they were 18 weeks old (recommendation from Purena). Also, I keep meds in their water and if you give it to the larger birds, you have to discard their eggs.

As Far as nesting boxes, I was only going to have 4 boxes but my wife talked me into building 8 of them. I only have 13 hens which 4 boxes would have been okay. Now that they are all laying, they use 6 of the 8 boxes, so I am glad that my wife talked me into it.

some older pictures of my coop can be seen on my BYC page for ideas.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! The info was certainly very helpful.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom