Nest box pictures?

I got my first egg the other day. My pullet laid it in a 5 gallon bucket half full of top soil. So I added a little soft hay and if shes happy I'm happy...

IMG_0445.jpg

Quote:
We have used them. When upright we cut out just the square. If you look at most egg crates you can see a square shape in the center on the sides. We cut one square out leaving the edge across the sides and bottom of the opening. Works for us.

Quote:
I have done this as well, and set them at an angle to make cheap rollout nests. Then made a trough at the back of them with the bottom few inches of the bucket cut out so the eggs would safely roll into the trough. Works well, and easy to clean.

Last edited:
I see many fancy nest boxes, but do you think that a small cardboard box with wood shavings will do the job? I just have one small silkie hen, and she fits there perfectly
smile.png

Quote:
Sure, why not? You may have to replace a cardboard box more frequently, if it gets wet or dirty, but I don't see why you couldn't use it otherwise.

Quote:
Sure, why not? You may have to replace a cardboard box more frequently, if it gets wet or dirty, but I don't see why you couldn't use it otherwise.

awesome! sometimes the roosters go to sleep in the cardboard box and the hen sleeps there too so I think she needs a new special place where the roosters can't barge into
smile.png

Wow it's been a long time since I saw this thread..... I was still on my first coop when I posted pics of my nesting boxes. Since then I have still reused things for nests, my favorite is cardboard boxes I get at sams club, when they get dirty they go to the fire pit. We also came across this old thing sitting on the curb one day, SO brought it home, I added a few sheets of thin plywood to the back to keep the shavings in.... slap a piece of bird netting over the front and you have an instant brooder for mama and babies....
10663_img_8099.jpg

My egg boxes were built from the info found on BYC's site. I showed a friend "Opa's" roll out nest boxes.
73053_dsc01479.jpg

This is in the coop side. I painted the inside a dark color as recommended on this site. There is a fake ceramic egg in the left hand box.
73053_dsc01491.jpg

This is in the shed side of my coop. That is the first egg from Ms. Leghorn 8/13/2011, she was around 17 weeks old.
Thanks Opa and all the BYC's for their excellent advice!

Back
Top Bottom