Nest Box Preperation Question

Raindawg

Chirping
Dec 4, 2020
North Bend, WA
I have five hens and two nest boxes in the coop. The hens are 18-19 weeks old and their combs and wattles are starting to turn red. My question is when do I start preparing the nest boxes? So far I have just left them open but I'm thinking it's time to put up some curtains and put some hay in them. I worry that they will use them for sleeping. How soon before they start laying should nest boxes be prepared?

At this age you could get eggs any time so the nest boxes should be prepped up with nesting material and fake eggs/golf balls (curtains are optional).

As long as the roost is higher than the boxes they are unlikely to sleep in the boxes, but they need time to explore the boxes and decide that they're a good place for eggs.

At this age you could get eggs any time so the nest boxes should be prepped up with nesting material and fake eggs/golf balls (curtains are optional).

As long as the roost is higher than the boxes they are unlikely to sleep in the boxes, but they need time to explore the boxes and decide that they're a good place for eggs.
As you were the only person to respond to my post I felt that you should be the first to know that two of my five hens started to lay this weekend. The first was my Speckled Sussex (Maggie) on Saturday the day she turned 21 weeks old. On Sunday, one of my Buff Orpington's (Buffy) laid a beautiful egg. She was 22 weeks and 2 days old. Today they both produced a second egg! Both girls layed in the same nest box.

I have a second Buff the same age as the other Buff and a Black Australorp and a Gold-Laced Wyandotte that are the same age as the Speckled Sussex. They are all looking like they could start laying any day now.

Thank you for your input with my earlier question. Who would have ever thought that chickens laying eggs could be so exciting!!!!

Back
Top Bottom