Nest box size

If you feed your chicks eggshells you need to make sure they are cooked - as in eggshells from boiled eggs. If you crack the eggs for omletts you should boil the shell - that way the chickens don't get a taste for raw eggshell, and think it is OK to eat their own eggs.

A 30cmx30cmx30cm nest box is not 30cm cubed but 27000cm cubed, as this 30x30x30. You can only say 1foot cubed because 1x1x1=1!

I have this old cabinet that came in my coop. I think the people who had it before had pigeons? Each section is only 9" high and I'm afraid that might not be enough room. Plus I was wanting to put a bit of a lip on there to keep the bedding in. I know they would still fit but it might be a little tight on the way in. Are they picky about space? I'm still new at this. any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

How wide are the openings? Maybe try hanging the cabinet on its side so they have a little more head room. I think boxes should be at least around 12 in sq but depending on the size of your chickens it might work.

Last edited:
It's about 12" deep, 9" tall and 14" wide. I think you're right. 12" square would be much better. That's an interesting idea. I might give it a try. Thanks. :) what I'm really thinking of doing is removing a shelf and makin 4 spots. We'll see how difficult that is I guess!

I just read a link in this very thread, where the writer says nine inches is a great height for nest boxes. Maybe you should use the box just as it is .. The same author said to build a frame around the entrance to make that actually just 6" tall by 9" wide, and the chickens will feel more comfy inside.

Back
Top Bottom