Nest box snaffu......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7cutechix, Oct 11, 2009.

1. 7cutechix

7cutechix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Well, my pullets have been laying about 3 weeks, I had 4 eggs in the nest box almost every day...then... a new layer popped out an egg in the run. Then yesterday 5 eggs in the box! Then this morning I did a bad thing....opened their door and let them in the run. Closed there door to clean inside coop a bit. Forgot to re-open door...Got home about 3. One egg was in the run. I opened the door and one jumped inside and layed an egg. Then another egg was layed in the run.....then WAY later than they ever lay, another layed in the run! Did I ruin the wonderful nest box situation????

2. Mominator

Mominator Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Killingworth, CT
    No, I don't think that you ruined anything at all....maybe keep them closed up in the coop for a few days to make sure that they start using the nest boxes again. It worked for me in 2 days, no problem. Good luck!

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Must be REALLY bad to have a double f in snafu! [​IMG]

I found another unauthorized nest today. I saw Rusty and one of the hens trying to look innocent over by the pavilion thing where I keep the mower. I said "I'm onto you two!" I know Rusty likes to scout out laying sites for the girls. Sure enough a couple hours later I found an egg in the narrow space between the pavillion and the house. [​IMG]

4. mitchroofing

mitchroofing New Egg

Jul 23, 2009
    I have 4 hens and plenty of laying beds, but someone has been pooping in a few of them Never find eggs in those ones? Should I just eliminate those boxes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by