Nest boxes: inside vs. outside

Nest boxes: inside or outside?

• Inside

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Outside

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
Outside gives more space for the hens and is much cleaner. +1 for exterior nest boxes
thumbsup.gif

My vote is to have exterior access to the nesting boxes regardless if they are "inside" or "outside" whenever possible. However, I too was worried about the problems encountered when attempting to weatherproof a hinged roof that was to be lifted to gain access to the eggs. After spending several hours researching various methods to ensure a watertight fit, I thought that there had to be a simpler alternative.

Some cabinet hinges ($2/pr), a window lock ($2), and a 6" hole-saw solved the problem. Instead of lifting the roof "lid" to collect eggs, I drilled a six inch hole in the siding on the back of each nesting box and installed 12"x14" "doors" over the holes. (The doors were cut from a standard 1x12 which was primed/painted) The doors are attached by a pair of small cabinet hinges anchored to a trim board at the top of the door and are kept secured by the window lock attached to another trim board at the bottom. It has worked great for the past ten months: after one "super storm" and about forty inches of snow the bedding has never gotten wet.

This might not work in every application but it has done the job for us; you might want to include it among all the possibilities under consideration. Either way, we wish you every success.

My vote is to have exterior access to the nesting boxes regardless if they are "inside" or "outside" whenever possible. However, I too was worried about the problems encountered when attempting to weatherproof a hinged roof that was to be lifted to gain access to the eggs. After spending several hours researching various methods to ensure a watertight fit, I thought that there had to be a simpler alternative.

Some cabinet hinges ($2/pr), a window lock ($2), and a 6" hole-saw solved the problem. Instead of lifting the roof "lid" to collect eggs, I drilled a six inch hole in the siding on the back of each nesting box and installed 12"x14" "doors" over the holes. (The doors were cut from a standard 1x12 which was primed/painted) The doors are attached by a pair of small cabinet hinges anchored to a trim board at the top of the door and are kept secured by the window lock attached to another trim board at the bottom. It has worked great for the past ten months: after one "super storm" and about forty inches of snow the bedding has never gotten wet.

This might not work in every application but it has done the job for us; you might want to include it among all the possibilities under consideration. Either way, we wish you every success.
After reading your reply, I had to go and check out your coop :). First off, GORGEOUS COOP!!!! I love it! Secondly, thank you for the advise, as if I didn't have enough details to be pulling my hair out over ;). Hahaha. Just kidding, it was helpful. I think I'm going to extend the roof over the next boxes to minimize water exposure… :| .. I think. I'm not carpenter, this is hard!!!
he.gif

After reading your reply, I had to go and check out your coop :). First off, GORGEOUS COOP!!!! I love it! Secondly, thank you for the advise, as if I didn't have enough details to be pulling my hair out over ;). Hahaha. Just kidding, it was helpful. I think I'm going to extend the roof over the next boxes to minimize water exposure… :| .. I think. I'm not carpenter, this is hard!!!
he.gif
Thank you very much for the kind words. Extending the roof seems like a wise choice; and don't worry about the carpentry skills - it's just wood, you can always take it apart and have another go........

And as the wise philosopher Jimmy Buffett says " If it doesn't work out there'll never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain!"

Sláinte!

Thank you very much for the kind words. Extending the roof seems like a wise choice; and don't worry about the carpentry skills - it's just wood, you can always take it apart and have another go........

And as the wise philosopher Jimmy Buffett says " If it doesn't work out there'll never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain!"

Sláinte!

We extended the roof over the nest boxes to avoid any hinge area water problems. Worked great! also keeps snow off.

We extended the roof over the nest boxes to avoid any hinge area water problems. Worked great! also keeps snow off.
That's what I thought too. Extending the roof isn't that hard to do to avoid a lot of cursing later on, haha. That is a good looking coop! Is it permanent or a tractor?

Yep, only 4 hens in there now, but they have done very well this winter. I would be more comfortable ( and they would too) if there were a few more birds for warmth. So I have five more in the brooder, good excuse, huh?

Back
Top Bottom