Nest boxes VS Hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpcardona, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    How many nest boxes do I really need for my 7 hens? And in the near future if I decide to hatch my own chicks, I want to make sure I have enough nest boxes before I put in a perch for my chickens. Later I will take pictures of my coop in hopes that I could get more Ideas. That is, if I am aloud to post pictures of my coop, me being kind of a newbie.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I have 2 boxes for 4 hens but have had 5 hens sharing 2 boxes with no problem. Maybe go with 3 to 4 boxes.

3. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Thanks mike. This determines my next job to put in a perch for my birds.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have 6 boxes for 20 hens, but they only use 2 ( or 3 if the other two get filled up)

5. chickenhead1

chickenhead1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    Preston Oklahoma
    It appears to me that I'm going to end up with 28 young uns' because all the folks that 'promised' they wanted some chickens have disappeared [​IMG]. So, I'm going with 8 boxes. Actually, one of my neighbors kids is a milk and dairy delivery guy and he is always bringing Dad home empty milk crates. turned on their side, I think these will make awesome nesting boxes. I'll just throw some in them and screw rounded 2x2s to the fronts for purtches (sp). think it will work[​IMG]

6. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Well that's great Kaitie. I am soo glad I don't have to have a box for every chicken, lol. In the beginning, I was wondering where I was going to put all of them.

Chickenhead, I will keep that in mind if I ever need more boxes! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by