nest boxes

jesskoot

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Central VA
What are the minimum requirements for a comfy nest box? I have seen that many are very simple, but some are designed according to specifications. I was not on the premises when my coop was built by my dear brother, and so my boxes are not what I would have liked. They are at the same level as the coop floor; he added a door on the outside to collect eggs w/o entering the coop, so changing the design is tricky. The boxes just seem very open to me (as a person) and I have read that the girls prefer a more solitary space; would it help to put another box/pan inside the nest space that is now available? My fingers are crossed that my eldest hen (Austrolorpe) will begin to lay in the next couple of weeks and want to make her space ready and inviting. HELP !

The best nestbox I have (according to my hens) is a covered litter box. They much prefer it to the other, open nestboxes.

I got my nesting box for free! But it is metal and I have mine on the ground and it has two levels with round openings for them to enter through so they are kind of enclosed, and the back is completely open to the wall.

Back
Top Bottom