Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Choco Maran, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Okay guys I know this topic has been up before but I"m in the middle of building nest boxes for about 45 hens. They are all about 18 weeks old and getting ready. My husband and I are going to bulid this week end. We are thinking 12x14 for the boxes and about 22 boxes. My question is : Will this be enough and are they going to be big enough. I have a mix flock and I beleive the best breed I have Orpington both white and buff. What do you guy think.

Thanks for all the ideas in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One box for every 4 hens is plenty --- they won't use that many, anyway. I'd probably build 8 or 10, at most.

Actually, I'd go find 8 or 10 discarded cardboard boxes, kitty litter pans, old plastic bins, etc. I've never spent money on one.

12x14 is fine -- a lot of people build 12x12. Or they build about 12x20, a group nest box. They often lay two in a box at the same time, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Great idea ddawn. We should have thought of that. Are main cooop has an old kitchen cabnet. no doors or drawers. same idea

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree! only need 8-10 nestboxes....and they will have their favorites. SO 8 would work!

5. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    My Buff orpington is naughty and lays her eggs in front of the nest box... I put her in the box, she jumps out. The other one/ones I have laying have consistently used the boxes. I have 3 boxes for my 6 and they eggs have been in all three, normally only in one. No need for too many choices!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by