1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    hello,
    i was wondering what is the best way to make a nest box out of a 5 gallon pail?

2. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    any one????????

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Why not use it as it, nail the bottom to the wall up 18 inches. Put straw in it.

4. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    okay. i dont have straw will shavings work???? and should i put a little peice of wood at the bottom so the shavings dont come out?

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Shavings will work. I had to put golf balls in mine for them to use it.. My large breeds were pretty squished in that size buckets. I just recently added an external nesting box, and that worked much better! The buckets do work though [​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Just lay it on the floor and put a brick against it. Put another brick under the open end, shavings in, and ya got a nest. I never understood why folks had nests up off the floor, or attached to a wall. I like the floor idea as they are then broody friendly and movable. These are 2 things that matter to me.........Pop

7. ALVIEMAN

ALVIEMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    SAINT CLAIR, MO
    I Started At The Top, Cut Down The Side To Within About An Inch Of The Bottom. Cut Over About Ten Inches, Then Back Up To Top. Like A Rectangle. My Five Girls Took To It Right Away, And Lay In It Daily. I Use Pine Shavings In The Bottom. Works Great. Have Two, For The Five Gals.

8. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    okay i got tht done. i put a bucket on a wood thing we had laying in the barn and knocked some of the sticks in the middle out than nailed the bucket there and put shavings and a golf ball in there now my little princess wont even stay in it..................... is she scared and will eventualy learn to lay in there? she is 5 months and hasnt laid yet but wanted to put a nest in their anyway

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The princess will decide when to lay and where. If you push her, you will scare her..........Pop

10. SD_Paulo

SD_Paulo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    Quote:Sounds like an interesting design. I have seen the production ones with the lid cut out. The way I understood your post it sounds like you cut the side of the bucket? Do you have photos you could post?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by