Nest-building question

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
I have a question regarding nesting. It's probably naive, but I don't know a whole lot about chickens.

It looks like most people provide a nest box with all the 'bedding' already made up, ready for immediate laying. Birds in the wild create their own nests, so why don't chickens?

Is it because we do not want a chicken to create a nest somewhere outside the hen-house where we can't readily find her eggs?

Do the chickens play with the bedding in order to "personalize" it during the period just before they begin laying?

thanks!

smile.png

peace

Chickens are "lazy" they will find a nest of leaves, shavings, hay, on wood, a rag, or blanket. As long as they feel safe and welcome to it, they will come and lay. Some folks place hay in a pail, milk crate even seen a tire layed flat with hay in it. Then when the hen finds this patch of hay, she will readjust and shimmie her butt to make it perfect for her. Then another hen will make minor adjustments for her girth.
Hens will make a nest but they will also pile up shavings to moosh their behinds in! Keep an eye open, offer then nice material and then you will find them trying it out.
big_smile.png

If you don't have a nest ready made, yes, the pullets and hens will lay their egg where ever they desire. It may not be a clean, safe place to lay an egg. Like the floor of the hen house, out in the garden bedding, or in the yard.

Some of our ladies hop in any nest box, lay the egg, and jump out. These ladies don't spend much time "getting comfortable".
smile.png

Some check out every nest box (we have 9) to see which one looks the best that day.

Some have a favorite nest box, and will only lay in that one. So if it is occupied, they will run around the hen house and barn cackling like crazy until it is available.

Most of our hens mess about with the nesting material until it is to their liking.

No question is niave . I am pretty new at this chicken stuff too lol . Yes we have the nest ready so she will lay her eggs where we can find them . My hens do arrange their straw they way they like them i have 2 nest boxes out of 12 they will use and the straw is all squished down like a little bed . Any questions at all just ask
caf.gif

I'm thinking that a fun part of having chickens is to watch their individual behavior over the nest and other things that chickens like to do!

wink.png

peace

Back
Top Bottom