Nest found, advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, Apr 27, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    My step dad is a farmer. He was plowing a field to day and came upon a mallard nest. He said she flew out of the way and he stopped the tractor with only seconds to spare. He called me knowing I had an incubator. Two options I could come immediately and get the eggs or he was just going to plow them under.(he's not REALLY insensitive it's just he runs into this a lot out here and he can't stop plowing a field every time he comes upon wildlife) Well I went and got them and popped them in my bator. So now I will have staggered hatch. More importantly though how can I tell how far a long these are in incubation. One egg was quite cracked and weeping, I assume from the moms quick take off. I broke it the rest of the way open and there was a little fetus in there perhaps the size of a dime or a bit bigger. I am new to incubating and feel pretty comfy candleing my 'scovie's white eggs but these are light brown and I can't really see anything. Does anyone know of a website or where I might find pics of the inside of eggs at different stages of development. Or can somebody tell me here by the size I described?
    Thank you all in advance for any advice.

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Lucky you, I wish I could find me a nest of them. You may have to have permet to have them, you may want to check with your state people to find out. Or not say or tell anyone you have em. Im not sure how far along they would be like that. Good luck wiht them..........

3. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I think we do need a permit here. I wasn't going to keep them though just raise them and let them leave when they like, also I have Rouens perhaps people wouldn't know the difference!? Thanks for the good wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by