Nest full of feathers but no broody…?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
This must have happened sometime this morning, because it wasn’t there yesterday afternoon. One of the nesting boxes is lined with down feathers, but nobody is sitting on the eggs? My broodies (of both breeds that I have) have never plucked their chests before, though I know that some do, and that was my first thought, but none of them are acting broody. No sitting, no voice change. Just the massive amount of feathers all of a sudden. What else could it be? Or if it is a broody, at what stage of broodiness would she pluck herself?

For context, I have 5 2-year-olds and 2 one-year-olds, all female. They all look and act healthy, no molting at this time or any other issues.

32560ED2-813B-4734-8C55-3784135C990C.jpeg

Developments! I found a hen in that nest tonight after bedtime, settled in for the night. She never sleeps off the roost unless she's broody, and she has been broody multiple times before, including once I've let her hatch and raise chicks, and she's never plucked herself before. Would she just randomly start plucking herself now? Do they keep the same pattern of broodiness (plucking vs. not, etc.) or do they change things up from one brooding session to another?

I do want a broody this year, but I moved this girl back to the roost, because she's had her chance already. I was thinking this year I want to let a different one be the mama for a change.

I do want a broody this year, but I moved this girl back to the roost, because she's had her chance already. I was thinking this year I want to let a different one be the mama for a change.
it can take couple-few days for them to commit.
If ya really want a broody, probably oughta take what you're getting. ;)

it can take couple-few days for them to commit.
If ya really want a broody, probably oughta take what you're getting. ;)
I don’t want one urgently, and based on past experience with this flock I know I’ll get more broodies as the weather gets warmer, so I’ll wait and see who else will volunteer 😁 This hen hatched 3 eggs just fine last year, but she’s pretty small (Barnevelder). I want one of the English Orps with the big fat butts, so I can give her more eggs 😄

It's official... She's broody 😑 She went back to the nest after spending all morning outside, and now her voice has broken into the broody cluck, too. Interestingly, she's not in the nest with the feathers (wasn't in the nest with the feathers last night either, when I had to pull her out). I'm still not convinced that they are hers. Wouldn't she use the nest where she spent all that effort and pain plucking herself? Or are chickens just not that smart? 😄 She also didn't pluck herself during any of her previous broody sessions.

I'm not going to break her quite yet. I'll let her sit as inspiration to the others, and maybe one of the big butts will get the hint and get comfy, too...

2BFA90C8-3A25-48B9-811D-F7CD262DAE98.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom