Nest on the roof..... Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychix, Jan 14, 2009.

1. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Ok, I have some EE’s hens that I knew should start laying anytime…. Well I had not seen any so I thought it was going to be a bit longer. Today while I was outside I saw one of them fly up onto the roof. I thought I should go get her down and clip those wings again. So I got the ladder out and climbed up to get her down and found a nest with 4 green eggs in it. She had made the nest out of pine straw and leaves. I would have done something sooner but did not know she was even going up there or that she could! But anyway I got her down (not easy to do while on a ladder and she is screaming and kicking trying to stay up there) and she flew back up there before I could stop her. I had to have my daughter hold her while I got down and then I clipped her wings. I took the eggs down and put them in the nest box in the coop. but she keeps trying to get to the ones that she thinks are on the roof still and with her wings being clipped she cant fly high enough to get back up there and ends up head butting the side of the coop. I have tried to show her where I put the eggs but I don’t think she understands…… I just don’t want her to hurt herself hitting her head…. Do you think after she calms back down she will take her eggs back…..?

2. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I had a similar situation but my EE laid her eggs under the coop and when I found her stash and moved them into the coop she would have NOTHING to do with them.... At the time I had what I thought was a broody Turkey and gave them to her but all of the EE's eggs failed to develop....

[​IMG]

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    usually once the decide they are going to sit in a spot.. they ONLY want THAT spot....
    clip her wings and put some golf balls in a nest where you want her to lay..

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I've only ever been able to move one silkie and manage to get her to stay with the eggs where I put her. Everybody else gives up once I move them. I have found the best mom's usually end up being the ones who seclude themselves and their nests away from the rest of the flock.

In the beginning I used golf balls to get the gals to lay in the boxes, but the sneaky ones who want to go broody look for a spot they know you won't find and steal the eggs..... atleast that is how I got 3 surprise hatches last summer.

Maybe once you clip her wings she will try nesting again on the ground or the coop etc...

Julie [​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Maybe lock her in the coop for a few days? If she is laying, she'll need to find a new place to do it. Being stuck in the coop will force her to consider the options available in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by