Nest size. Need some help.

A 3x4 coop part should technically hold 3 chickens max...

BUT, if this is a coop just for good weather, AND you move it often then you can manage to put more in.

You will need to have access to under the coop area to put the feed and water so that the feed does not get wet in the rain.

I have a tractor coop that is 3x4, but the run is bigger than yours, I think 4 x10.

I can successfully squeeze 6 chickens in there without any issues.

BUT it has to be moved often... fresh grass is a great distraction.

Harsh weather that keeps chickens in the coop area for more than a day or 2... and your max amount of chickens for that coop should be two.

My chickens have a big coop and greenhouse for the winter...
I live in central Argentina beyond the mountains. We hit sub zero about five to ten nights in a year. Coop is just for them to sleep at night undisturbed. I have ten inch wheels and a plan for undercarriage that makes her a cinch to move even daily.

Since it is going to be on grass, I would imagine they should also have something in there so they can dust bathe. So that is something else besides a feeder and water that is going to take up space.

Sir, since you say you're a newbie, maybe this will help you out. Rule of thumb for space requirements: in an enclosed coop, each bird typically needs four square feet of unencumbered floor space. In a run, plan for ten square feet per bird. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom