Nest wars

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
last summer I went outside and found that two of my hens weren't out in the run I thought they must be laying eggs I peeked in the window but there was only one hen i was frantically searching for my hen I looked back in the window and found two heads looking at me my hens were in the same nest box! they are jersey giants and it's not a that big of a nest box! And there are ten nest boxes at the time I only had six hens! Now a few days ago I found a whole line for the nest box and yes it was all for the same nest box all stood looking at the poor hen screaming when she was done one hen quietly climbed in another hen pecked her screamed at her and pushed her out and it was hot that day so they were all screaming and panting it was quite crazy! 😂 I would love to hear some of your nest war stories we all know that chickens all want the same nest box!!

Yesterday, I also experienced the "two-headed hen" in a nest box. Two Iowa Blue hens live in a coop with four boxes that look identical to me. Clearly, I am wrong. Pip was in the box first, it appears, but that didn't stop Squeak -- forgive the names, I'm not the one who named them -- from climbing right on top.

At least they were quiet. When either of the Salmon Faverolles decides she would like to go next door to the White Coop, there is complete chaos. The Favs scream at the Easter Eggers, who return the insults. All the while they are arguing over a nest box, the adjacent nest box, again identical in my eyes, remains empty.

I lost one egg this week when three hens decided not to use the boxes in their own coops, but to all lay in the Urban Coop's single nest box. It was not a good fit, and the shell cracked.

I chuckled a bit at the imagined image of your girls lining up in orderly fashion. My girls are not so polite!

Yesterday, I also experienced the "two-headed hen" in a nest box. Two Iowa Blue hens live in a coop with four boxes that look identical to me. Clearly, I am wrong. Pip was in the box first, it appears, but that didn't stop Squeak -- forgive the names, I'm not the one who named them -- from climbing right on top.

At least they were quiet. When either of the Salmon Faverolles decides she would like to go next door to the White Coop, there is complete chaos. The Favs scream at the Easter Eggers, who return the insults. All the while they are arguing over a nest box, the adjacent nest box, again identical in my eyes, remains empty.

I lost one egg this week when three hens decided not to use the boxes in their own coops, but to all lay in the Urban Coop's single nest box. It was not a good fit, and the shell cracked.

I chuckled a bit at the imagined image of your girls lining up in orderly fashion. My girls are not so polite!
Haha this was a good one! And trust me my girls still have to learn some manners!

Here is a short video of two hens with chicks and turf wars in a broody coop at night. I have to watch it every so often when I need a good laugh. I think this video makes me want a half dozen or so Buff Orpingtons.

Buff Orps are a wonderful breed, lovely video! :love

All 8 of my hens use one nesting box. They have access to five one time I found a waiting line for the nest box.

Attachments

• E094095F-4E9E-4238-BBD0-5C405BF1734C.jpeg
    E094095F-4E9E-4238-BBD0-5C405BF1734C.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom